1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Trashed?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lovemuffin, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lovemuffin

lovemuffin Thread Starter

My computer was having problems so I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows xp. It worked great for about a week. Then all of a sudden, I had to boot from a disk. When I clicked on "My computer", my C Drive was:

~%}*w$#@C:/

(there were a lot of squares and things I don't have on my keyboard) But this is just an example.

What happened? Is there any hope for my old friend? BTW it was a Hewlitt Packard Pavillion.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

That doesn't sound good. You might try putting the HD in another computer to be sure, but it looks like you are going to need a new one.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What were the initial problems that had you reinstall in the first place.

Is is just the C: drive's label that needs to be changed or are there other unreported problems as well.

4. lovemuffin

lovemuffin Thread Starter

I reinstalled & reformatted because programs would freeze up and my internet was very slow. (I have cable). I could not open 2 programs at one time or the whole computer would freeze and I would have to do a hard boot. The whole system would freeze up every few hours.

I think it is just time for a new one. We are using my husbands computer (E-Machines 533id) it isn't much better. It runs windows 98 and everything is slow on his as well.

We both run our businesses from our computer. I have about 8 different programs that I need on my computer to keep my business running. I want a computer that can keep up with me and if I want to read my email while looking at a web page and printing data, it will do just that. Any suggetions on what I would need to get those results?

Thanks so much!

P.S. My old HP has 2 hardrives C:/ and D:/. That happened when I reinstalled XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice