1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Trouble.....please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Medani, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Medani

Medani Thread Starter

Hello Friends,
    I have DELL INSPIRON 5100 laptop with 40GB hard drive. Currently I am using somewhere between 10-12GB. But I have only 1.35GB left in Cdrive. I lost 4GB yesterday. Let me tell you little bit more how I have lost them. I download lots of stuff from internet and then burn them on dvd and delete them from Cdrive and then finally from recycle bin. Sometimes I don't get those space back evenafter deleting them. There is nothing in my temp file and I don't know where to find all those GB which I have already lost. Trust me I did everything to find those lost GB from Cdrive but couldn't.

I really need your help. Please help me.
    I am so frustrated. :(

2. emoric

emoric

When you delete something from the recycle bin, it is still on your hard disk. It just doesn't show up in your OS.

Look in disk management for unallocated space.

3. kev1952

kev1952

Understand what you are talking about but it's not quite correct. When you empty the recycle bin the system then sees the space that those files used as free and can overwrite it as required. The file data is still technically there (and could possibly be recovered if needed) but the space is marked as free.

4. emoric

emoric

Well saying that came from the top of my head, I will trust you in that statement... (y)

I knew it sounded kind of screwy.

5. kev1952

kev1952

ROFL!!! :D I knew what you were referring to and everything you said was correct except that the space used is shown as free. Hard drive file systems have worked that way for as long as I care to remember. :) :) :)

6. Medani

Medani Thread Starter

Hello Friends,
    So what should I do now? Please find some solutions for me. I am really frustrated as I am not a computer expert.
    Thanks.

7. kev1952

kev1952

Click on "Start|Run" and type (no quotes) "cmd" and press enter. This will open a DOS style box. At the prompt type (again, no quotes) "dir c: /s /p" and press enter. This will list all the files on the C: drive and pause at the end of each page of info. Look at the file sizes (listed in bytes) and see if you have some files that are very large (look for things listed like "x,xxx,xxx,xxx" which are sizes 1 gig or higher). If you find them then try to establish what they are and delete them if not needed.

Get out of the box by typing "exit" and pressing enter.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice