1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kh1zager, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kh1zager

kh1zager Thread Starter

My other computer was not working. Upon boot up the screen said " Trouble on your hard drive has been detected...press Enter to continue" After pressing Enter the booting continued only to find no Desktop available. I did a system restore and formatted the drive. Everything went well with the restore and reinstallation of XP. However upon boot I get the same Hard drive error message. I press Enter and the boot continues normally and I now get the desktop normally. Why am I getting the hard drive message? I used PC Doctor which came installed and did a Hard Drive test. Everything passed except the Surface Scan test. Errors were shown. How do I repair my hard drive? Thanks

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

You cannot repair a hard drive . . if it has bad sectors, that can indicate a drive failure. You download diagnostics from the drive manufacturer to rule out disc failure.

If it failes the diagnostics, you will have to replace the drive

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sounds like you already used a program to show that the hard drive is defective. Like simpswr says, just replace it. Fortunately they are not that expensive these days.

4. bbearren

bbearren

You can use Start>Run and type in chkdsk /r. Chkdsk will find bad sectors on the disk and recover any data that is recoverable. You will get a screen that asks if you want to run chkdsk on the next restart. Click OK, and restart.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But again, it won't fix a bad driver that needs to be replaced. With a freshly formatted hard drive, still giving major problems, I'm not exactly sure what the long term benefit would be as opposed to getting a new one.

6. kh1zager

kh1zager Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. It just seemed wierd that everything worked fine after hitting Enter to clear the message. If the hard drive was bad wouldn't it affect everything else?

7. bbearren

bbearren

I have owned many hard drives, but I have yet to own one that has not developed disk errors over time. The only hard drive crash I ever had was a 650 MB Seagate in a computer I bought new with Windows 3.11 installed.

I have routinely used chkdsk (or its predecessors in earlier versions of Windows) as part of my maintenance regimen for my computers. When it finds errors I run chkdsk /r to repair the errors and mark the bad sectors as unusable.

Bad sectors are not at all uncommon, and bad sectors do not necessarily mean bad hard drive.

The long term benefit is $$$. "Expensive" is a relative term.

The only caveat is to always have a current backup of your data; but we should all be doing that, anyway.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Like simpswr says, you can't repair a hard drive.

To clarify what is happening, chkdsk doesn't fix a failing hard drive. It fixes file errors. This is especially true when the message "Trouble on your hard drive has been detected" is shown.

9. bbearren

bbearren

To clarify my advice to kh1zager:

Bad sectors do not necessarily mean that the hard drive is either bad or failing. Bad sectors mean that there are bad sectors on the disk.

This is such a common occurrence that there are dozens of disk repair tools available, many of them free. To clarify what CHKDSK does, this KB article is fairly specific:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/en-us

Here is a link for a commercial product from Gibson Research:

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

SpinRite is an excellent tool.

One can indeed repair a hard drive; it depends on what rerpairs are necessary. My newest drive is 200 G, and it doesn't present any bad sectors YET, but I fully expect it to, sooner or later. That's why I run CHKDSK from time to time as part of my PC maintenance regimen.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you give more detail then how a bad sector is not a defect of the drive?
    Can you explain why the error "Trouble on your hard drive has been detected" should be ignored?
    Can you explain how CHKDSK actually fixes bad seconds on a hard drive?
    What are the actual steps you take to repair a hard drive? For example, if the physical media of the drive is defective causing bad sectors, how to you repair the physical media. This is different that running Spinrite which has been around for years.

It's also good to be clearer that chkdsk does not fix bad sectors at all.

11. TerryFox

TerryFox

Hi ... I have a question , If the drive has bad sectors , Does it meaning I have to get a new one soon because the drive is defected ?

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It means the drive is starting to fail. They don't get better. They just get worse. As far as how long you want to wait, that's more of a personal decision. For me what is on there is too valuable to want to wait.

13. kh1zager

kh1zager Thread Starter

It sounds to me like all this checking and repairing (or maybe not repairing) is more trouble than replacing the drive itself. I already did the System Restore / Format so I don't currently have anything on the drive to worry about. This Hard drive was only a 40 GB. Pretty small but big enougf for my kid's use. I can get the same brand (Western Digital) in an 80GB for about $60.00. I know how to install a new hard drive. Is it difficult to reinstall XP? Anything I should be aware of? Am I in over my head? Thanks everybody for all your help!!!

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep. That would be the safest thing to do. Glad the $60 is not too much for you. Most times you can take out the old drive and replace it with the new one. Then boot with XP and install again. If you buy the drive locally, most stores around here will even put it in for you.

15. bbearren

bbearren

--Can you give more detail then how a bad sector is not a defect of the drive?--

I didn't say that a bad sector is not a defect. I said that it doesn't necessarily mean that the drive is bad.

--Can you explain why the error "Trouble on your hard drive has been detected" should be ignored?--

I didn't say it should be ignored.

--Can you explain how CHKDSK actually fixes bad seconds on a hard drive?--

I didn't say that CHKDSK fixes bad sectors. Check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/en-us for what CHKDSK does, and how it does it.

--What are the actual steps you take to repair a hard drive? For example, if the physical media of the drive is defective causing bad sectors, how to you repair the physical media. This is different that running Spinrite which has been around for years.--

I said, "One can indeed repair a hard drive; it depends on what repairs are necessary." If the repair of a drive consists of finding the bad sectors on the drive, retrieving the data from those sectors, and marking those sectors as unusable, then as far as Win2K or XP are concerned, that drive is repaired.

As I said, I have had only one hard drive crash since before the introduction of Windows 95. I did have a 4.5 G Micronis Mustang with a bad bearing that started squealing, but I cloned that drive and replaced it.

Every other drive I have owned has developed bad sectors over time. I have used CHKDSK or other such tools to recover the data and mark the sectors as unusable, and continue to use the drives, except for two. Those two are usable but stored (only 20 G each) until I have a case to put them in.

Drives are less expensive than they used to be, but I have no good reason to replace one prematurely. I keep backup images up to date, so my data is safe. And my experience is by no means unique.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice