Hard Drive Upgrade advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kdd9

Hi, I have a question on a hard drive upgrade. I have a 1999 Gateway Select 400 pc with a 6 GB hard drive. I would like to switch the 6 gig out for a larger one. I saw an 80 GB for about $70 today. I am wondering if I can just pull the 6 GB out and put the 80 GB in. If so, how would I do it? Would I have to reinstall my OS? Could I save the data from my old HD and get it on the new one? I am only using 2 GB of the 6, but If I had a bigger drive, I would use more. Would there be any drawbacks to this upgrade?

Here is some information from PC Wizard 2005 on the current hard drive:

General Information :
Disk Type : Hard Disk
Free Space : 68%

Drive Information :
Volume Name : GATEWAY
Serial Number : 2A6F-7F0
Files Name : 255 caractères
File Management : FAT32
Volume is Compressed : No
Case Sensitive Search : No
Preserves Filename Case : Yes
Unicode Filenames : Yes
Access Control List : No
Named Streams : No
Object Identifiers : No
Reparse Points : No
Sparse Files : No
User Disk Quotas : No
Individual File Compression : No
Encryption : No
Share : No

Logical Features :
Sectors per Cluster : 64
Bytes per Sector : 512
Cluster size : 32 KB
Free Clusters : 65526
Total Clusters : 65526

Physical Features :
Cylinders : 828
Heads : 255
Sectors per Track : 63
Bytes per Sector : 512
Number of FAT : 2
Sector per FAT : 12957
Sectors per Clusters : 8
Reserved Sectors : 0
Sectors per Track : 63
Total Sectors : -10367

Optimization Information :
Last Scan/Check : 07 January 2006
Last Optimization : 06 January 2006
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And some additional information:

Processor -- AMD K6-2 (model 8) @ 401 MHz

256 MB RAM

Windows 98SE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the information off of the box that the 80 GB drive comes in:

Seagate 80 GB Upgrade Kit
Internal Hard Drive
Ultra ATA/100 interface
7200 RPM
8 MB Cache
3.5 - inch Drive
PC or Mac
350 Gs nonoperating shock resistance
Less than 25 acoustical decibels

If there is anything else you need to know in order to offer advice, just let me know and I will be happy to get it for you.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

kdd9

Upgrading a hard drive is really easy. First off, anything you want on your new hard drive will need to be copied over to it from the old one. To do this, I would recommend that you burn your files to a DVD or a couple CDs. I highly recommend only copying your saved data (word documents, save game data, etc.) and not your OS files. It would be best to reinstall your OS. Then you could install the new HD. You should follow the directions that come with your HD. Then install your OS, copy over your files, and you're done! By the way, $70 for an 80 GB HD seems too high. Check http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=11/popup2[]=1:394 for better prices.

If you have any other questions along the way, just ask!

Hello kkd 9

I really do not think and older 1999 computer has a new enough BIOS chip to handle a 80G drive.. You drive size limit on a 1999 puter might be much lower.

agpilot

Large drive recognition can be acheived on a 1999 era machine. I'm on a 1999 Presario that's running an 80GB Western Digital (29.99 AMIR).
BIOS date is 05/18/99

Original drive was an 8GB Bigfoot.

kdd9

I don't think that I really need 80 gigs anyway (I'm only using 2 now :>) ) That's just the one I saw at the store. Suppose I check iOXeR's link for a 40 GB?

BTW, iOXeR, I have been really busy tonight (malware removal studies) and haven't had time to reply properly to your post. I just might have a couple of questions on it, but it's getting late and I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

kdd9

80 GB is a small drive now. Things are changing fast!
In fact last week Best Buy had 120GB Seagates on rebate for $29.99.

You may not need the space, but you will like the speed and quietness of a modern drive.
The rebate deals on the Seagates are unbeatable. Look for 5 yr. warranty, 8MB cache, 7200rpm and P-ATA (non-SATA)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The middle of 1999 was when the BIOS writers changed from 32gig limitation to 137gig limitation (largest possible with LBA-28 addressing). You need to determine if your BIOS can address more than 32gig or consider alternative installation strategies like add-on IDE controllers or drive overlay software.

JohnWill said:
The middle of 1999 was when the BIOS writers changed from 32gig limitation to 137gig limitation (largest possible with LBA-28 addressing). You need to determine if your BIOS can address more than 32gig or consider alternative installation strategies like add-on IDE controllers or drive overlay software.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks JohnWill... I felt there was a limit back then as to size of drives but could not recall just when... kdd 9 could consider a whole computer upgrade to a newer used machine for less than $100.. I've got a 1.4 GHz sys with 80G Hdd that I would be hard pressed to get a buyer for over $75 but that might be just in this neck of the woods.
agpilot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online