1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kdd9, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kdd9

kdd9 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a question on a hard drive upgrade. I have a 1999 Gateway Select 400 pc with a 6 GB hard drive. I would like to switch the 6 gig out for a larger one. I saw an 80 GB for about $70 today. I am wondering if I can just pull the 6 GB out and put the 80 GB in. If so, how would I do it? Would I have to reinstall my OS? Could I save the data from my old HD and get it on the new one? I am only using 2 GB of the 6, but If I had a bigger drive, I would use more. Would there be any drawbacks to this upgrade?

Here is some information from PC Wizard 2005 on the current hard drive:

General Information :
    Disk Type : Hard Disk
    Free Space : 68%

Drive Information :
    Volume Name : GATEWAY
    Serial Number : 2A6F-7F0
    Files Name : 255 caractères
    File Management : FAT32
    Volume is Compressed : No
    Case Sensitive Search : No
    Preserves Filename Case : Yes
    Unicode Filenames : Yes
    Access Control List : No
    Named Streams : No
    Object Identifiers : No
    Reparse Points : No
    Sparse Files : No
    User Disk Quotas : No
    Individual File Compression : No
    Encryption : No
    Share : No

Logical Features :
    Sectors per Cluster : 64
    Bytes per Sector : 512
    Cluster size : 32 KB
    Free Clusters : 65526
    Total Clusters : 65526

Physical Features :
    Cylinders : 828
    Heads : 255
    Sectors per Track : 63
    Bytes per Sector : 512
    Number of FAT : 2
    Sector per FAT : 12957
    Sectors per Clusters : 8
    Reserved Sectors : 0
    Sectors per Track : 63
    Total Sectors : -10367

Optimization Information :
    Last Scan/Check : 07 January 2006
    Last Optimization : 06 January 2006
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And some additional information:

Processor -- AMD K6-2 (model 8) @ 401 MHz

256 MB RAM

Windows 98SE
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the information off of the box that the 80 GB drive comes in:

Seagate 80 GB Upgrade Kit
    Internal Hard Drive
    Ultra ATA/100 interface
    7200 RPM
    8 MB Cache
    3.5 - inch Drive
    PC or Mac
    350 Gs nonoperating shock resistance
    Less than 25 acoustical decibels

If there is anything else you need to know in order to offer advice, just let me know and I will be happy to get it for you.
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

kdd9

2. iOXeR

iOXeR

Upgrading a hard drive is really easy. First off, anything you want on your new hard drive will need to be copied over to it from the old one. To do this, I would recommend that you burn your files to a DVD or a couple CDs. I highly recommend only copying your saved data (word documents, save game data, etc.) and not your OS files. It would be best to reinstall your OS. Then you could install the new HD. You should follow the directions that come with your HD. Then install your OS, copy over your files, and you're done! By the way, $70 for an 80 GB HD seems too high. Check http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=11/popup2[]=1:394 for better prices.

If you have any other questions along the way, just ask!

3. agpilot

agpilot

Hello kkd 9

I really do not think and older 1999 computer has a new enough BIOS chip to handle a 80G drive.. You drive size limit on a 1999 puter might be much lower.

agpilot

4. jflan

jflan

Large drive recognition can be acheived on a 1999 era machine. I'm on a 1999 Presario that's running an 80GB Western Digital (29.99 AMIR).
    BIOS date is 05/18/99

Original drive was an 8GB Bigfoot.

5. kdd9

kdd9 Thread Starter

I don't think that I really need 80 gigs anyway (I'm only using 2 now :>) ) That's just the one I saw at the store. Suppose I check iOXeR's link for a 40 GB?

BTW, iOXeR, I have been really busy tonight (malware removal studies) and haven't had time to reply properly to your post. I just might have a couple of questions on it, but it's getting late and I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

kdd9

6. jflan

jflan

80 GB is a small drive now. Things are changing fast!
    In fact last week Best Buy had 120GB Seagates on rebate for $29.99.

You may not need the space, but you will like the speed and quietness of a modern drive.
    The rebate deals on the Seagates are unbeatable. Look for 5 yr. warranty, 8MB cache, 7200rpm and P-ATA (non-SATA)

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The middle of 1999 was when the BIOS writers changed from 32gig limitation to 137gig limitation (largest possible with LBA-28 addressing). You need to determine if your BIOS can address more than 32gig or consider alternative installation strategies like add-on IDE controllers or drive overlay software.

8. agpilot

agpilot

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks JohnWill... I felt there was a limit back then as to size of drives but could not recall just when... kdd 9 could consider a whole computer upgrade to a newer used machine for less than $100.. I've got a 1.4 GHz sys with 80G Hdd that I would be hard pressed to get a buyer for over $75 but that might be just in this neck of the woods.
    agpilot

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, used computers are dirt cheap. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice