1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yoiyoi, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yoiyoi

yoiyoi Thread Starter

I would like to upgrade my 30gbhard disk space. To avoid the possibility of erasing some programs on my present hard disk I am considering having an external drive what are the disadvantages of this with respect to the performance of computer.

Is there a way of inserting another hard drive without tampering with the programs presently installed on the existing hard drive.

Comment and suggestions welcomed.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is this a laptop or desktop? How old is it and what type of drive does it take, SATA or PATA/IDE? Most laptops will only support one hard drive while desktops generally support multiple hard drives, but older computers have limitations of how big of a drive will be supported.

You can use an external drive for data, but all programs should be on the internal drive.

You can also replace the internal drive with a bigger one and clone/image an exact copy of the current drive onto the new drive.

USB connected drives will be slower, especially if the computer is really old and only has USB 1.1 ports.

3. yoiyoi

yoiyoi Thread Starter

----------------------------------------
    Thanks for your reply.

It is a desktop. i'm not sure if its a SATA/PATA/IDE where do i find that out?
    Will it be possible to clone/image copy of current drive on new drive without having to reinstall programs on the old drive onto the new?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Easiest way is to open the case and look. A sata drive will have a data cable that is approx 3/8" wide and an ide type drive will have a wide ribbon type cable.

Next depending on what brand of hard drive you have ie WD, Seagate, etc, you may be able to download a free version of acronis true image [another reason to open the case and look]

Attached Files:

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may want to download Speccy: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Let us know what motherboard you have, either by using Speccy or looking at the motherboard itself.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice