1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive usage full

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brbrdmbr, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brbrdmbr

brbrdmbr Thread Starter

I have a Dell AMD 3800 2gh 2g RAM 240g HD and something is filling my hard drive to capacity and I cannot find out what. I recently installed Carbonite and it appears to be running fine. We noticed that some recorded TV shows suddenly disappeared and when looking found the hard drive within 3g of being full. I started backing up and deleting video and picture files and I will notice that space being freed up on HD but then it fills back up again without us saving anything. This morning after deleting files I had 9.4g free but right now it only shows 5.97 free. I did empty recycle bin. I tried to run CHKDSK but could not as it said I needed higher security. I am the Admin on Vista Home Premium so should be able. Can someone help me through the steps to check what is happening. Thank you in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

System Restore may be using some of the space. But it sounds like you need a larger drive for sure, or an add-on external, for storing all those vids. They take a lot of space.

4. brbrdmbr

brbrdmbr Thread Starter

there are currently no vid files on the hard drive and I cannot find any files that look to be using large amounts of space.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. brbrdmbr

brbrdmbr Thread Starter

how do I unhide hidden files? I did download TreeSize but it shows lots of files unavailable to view and nothing that looks oversized. sorry if I sound like such a rookie but these are the kind of problems I have trouble with.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Control Panel > Folder Options. You find a check-box for unhiding hidden files and folders.

If nothing seems oversized, then you may just be short on space in the normal way that a drive loses space over time from installations and use of programs.

Look for the big users in one of those space programs. Try running Disk Cleanup to see if temp files have accumulated (Start > Run > cleanmgr). On the second page of Disk Cleanup, you can also remove all restore points except the last one.

8. brbrdmbr

brbrdmbr Thread Starter

ok, I did open read all files and then as I was browsing the different user accounts I notice a 20g file for my wifes account that isn't present in mine. It is in an AppData folder and the 20g is in Microsoft Outlook subfolder. We do not use Outlook so I am not sure why hers is so large. I don't even show an Outlook folder in my user account. Is this a folder that can be deleted? I don't seem to be able to find it to see whats in it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844304