1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard-drive Vista Ulimate 32bit Seagate 320Gb Missing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by captainlovep, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captainlovep

captainlovep Thread Starter

I've had my system for over a year and a half now:

Vista Ultimate 32bit
    Intel Q6660
    3Gb ram
    Nforce 780i motherboard
    1x DVDrom
    3x Seagate 320Gb harddrives

I've had some strange trouble regarding one of my 320Gb HDD's It goes missing in Vista.

When I start my system up, I watch the monitor. And see the DVDrom and all 3 HDD's register in Bios. But once Vista has loaded, theres only the DVDrom and 2 HDD's.

When I first purchased the system I had all three drive's acting as one 640Gb drive in a RAID config. I since had that taken down. So they should be working as 3 separate drives.

I didn't have a problem with them til about December 08, when one dissappeared under Vista. I didn't concern myself about it at the time, figuring it was a Vista issue that they would rectify in their own time.

About 3months ago. There was a breakthough, I think a Vista update sorted it out.

Until about a month ago I had all three Drives working. I think another Update went through. And now I'm back to 2 HDD's.

Everytime I restart my system. I always see all 3 HDD's recognized under BIOS. But once Vista loads. I only have the 2.

When I look in control Panel/ Administrative Tools/ Computer Management/ Storage/ Disk Management everything comes up as primary partition(in blue), and nothing as Unallocated(black)

Is there any reason I should look at motherboard drivers? Current drivers are nforce 15.23
    Motherboard is 780i

If other 2 HDD's are the same model, is there any point updating firmware?

You thought?

PS. Don't post me to look in the computer, to see if it's plugged in. The All 3 HDD's are recognized on start up.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Did you disable raid for the controller in the BIOS setup?
    Or set it to IDE/SATA.
    Does disk management show it as having an assigned drive letter?
    If not,you may need to right click it and assign one.

3. captainlovep

I had the guy I bought my system off disable raid. I've never gone into BIOS setup. My issues have been sometime since that was done.

Disk Management does not show the drive at all.

The drive has been assigned the letter "D"

Would downloading nvidia motherboard drivers make any difference?
    When I install them is asks my if I wish to network my drives.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You ought to start from scratch and remove all the partitions from that drive and make new ones. But it needs to show in Disk Management first.

Does it show in Device Manager?

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Drivers may help,the raid drivers are different than sata
    or IDE.

6. captainlovep

When I look in Control Panel/ Device Management/ Disk Drives, I have:
    2x ST332062 0AS Disk Device showing

When I look at Control Panel/ Device Managment/ IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have:
    2x IDE Channels and
    3x NVIDIA nforce Serial ATA Controllers aswell as
    1x Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Wouldn't the 3x NVIDIA serial ATA Controllers be for the three drives?

I just checked Control Panel/ Administrative Tool/ Computer Management/ Storage/ Disk Management.

Main HDD with OS on it is Disk 0 (C:)
    Next HDD is Disk 1 assigned (X:)
    I have an external drive I been using aswellThis comes up as Disk 2 assigned (F:)

7. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Each controller likely controls more than 1 SATA port,but yes
    the drives should be on a connection run by those controlers.

8. captainlovep

I turned my pc off last night. And turned it back on about an hour ago. And I have the drive back, just like it was there all along.

Is there anything you can suggest I do to stop it from dissappearing again?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Other than checking your connections, it is very hard to diagnose this kind of intermittent problem. Crossing your fingers may help.

You can mark this "solved" if you want and request it re-opened if the problem comes back. But if possible, I would still recommend re-partitioning the drive in case there is a problem with the tables.

10. captainlovep

Went and saw the people I bought my PC off. Told them about it. They suggested I download a copy of Seatools for DOS

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Downloaded. burned to disc. All drives passed tests.

Last night system locked up. Rebooted and third harddisk went missing again.

This morning I decided to swith off PC completely. Shutdown system. And then turn off power switch on the back of computer. Waited for 20sec's. Turn all back on. After startup 3rd disk reappeared. No real answer to cause as yet. But a new resolution.

11. captainlovep

Today my system went down due to a blackout. When the power came back on the same drive dissappear under Vista. So I shutdown the system again. Switched off power at mains. restarted it and the drive appeared again.

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Well it goes without saying that no non-redundant data should be trusted to reside there. It would be nice if you could seperate the drive from that system and use it in another, maybe swap in a spare on that one and see where the problem goes if it still exists. Seems like the connections or hard drive control board must be intermittently faulty but not for sure.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice