1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive w/o a drive letter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4point, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4point

4point Thread Starter

:confused: Second hard drive WDC WD600JB Hard Drive mounted internally (or external with USB adapter) is not seen by Windows XP File manager/My Computer, is listed in System Properties/Device Manager under "Disk Drives", is listed under Computer Management/Disk Management without as drive letter, right click on blank drive letter and "Change Drive Letter and Paths ..." grayed out.. (note: I suspect that the disk's copy of the system's disk is corrupt.) Going to the Command Prompt, using Diskpart, "list disk" shows both disks, unable to assign a "letter=G" or any other unused letter above G: I downloaded hard disk recovery shareware to check that the data file are still on the disk...shows the NTFS files with a sector search. Need help to get computer Windows XP to recognize drive and read files.

2. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

At this point I usually make a forensic back up of the drive (e.g., Ghost with /ia - the 'image all' switch). If tools like Partition Magic don't even see the drive I use partition recovery software (like the one by [email protected] - which has worked VERY well for me).

3. 4point

4point Thread Starter

Thanks...will try.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623245