Hard Drive- Western Digital

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jazzmaster44

I bought a new Western Digital hard drive. The size is 160 GB, however, when I install it into the compute the size is 137 GB. How can I get 160 GB of hard space or 152 GB of hard space.

Thanks!!!!

If you are using Windows XP you will need to install SP2 in order for windows to support large drives. Windows 98 only supports 137g

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Tell us some specifics about your system, make/model and BIOS date. In addition to the above named limitation of XP, prior to SP1, your BIOS must also be late 2002 or newer, or that will also have the same effect on the disk capacity.

your BIOS must also be late 2002 or newer, or that will also have the same effect on the disk capacity.
My Gateway I bought in April of 2001 recognized my new WD 160gb as 160gb with no BIOS update. When I installed the drive (as a slave) with the WD cd a window came up and said it had to change some settings in order for the drive to be seen past 137gb and to restart my machine so it could do it. I clicked ok and then it rebooted and recognized the full 160. If he can use the Intel Application Accelerator it'll do the trick.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The Intel accelerator is only for Intel chipset based boards, so that will obviously depend on what board he has. From the sounds of your installation, you may have loaded the WD drive overlay software, something that I avoid like the plague.

Eh? The last brand new (with software) wd drive I installed before this was a new 15.3gb one years and years ago (back when 15gb was huge!). Damn, what horrible software have I installed on my computer? I was just happy to not have to manually do the formating and such, they tricked me into something bad didn't they?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
msgtgumby, It sounds like they may have. :) We really should start a new thread if you want to discuss your issues, since we're hijacking jazzmaster44's thread here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online