1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive wiper

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by gladio77, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gladio77

gladio77 Thread Starter

Dear Security:

This is my first post in the Security Forum. I am trashing an old computer. But first I plan on physically destroying my hard disk whether by hammer, grinder at a tech dump, melting in a furnace (anyone know of one hot enough to melt a hard drive or using heavy gauge sandpaper. Not sure what physical method-or methods-to use. And I'm not sure degaussing will work.

I'm not sure what a hard disk looks like or exactly where it is on my tower. I read that if you are going to use a sledgehammer, you should place the disk in a bag first. How many layers are there in a disk?

But before I do any of these hostile things, I was planning to use a disk wiper. What's the best one on the market-even if it costs me a few pennies? I read that Active Professional KillDisk bypasses BIOS, so it might be best. But I need your advice.

And by the way, PC World writes that Microsoft will no longer be supporting Windows 98. I read that about a month ago. Old news by now, right?

gladio77

2. khazars

khazars

you should post this in the hardware forum for a better response!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice