1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive with XP to new motherboard/processor.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zzsoccer3, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zzsoccer3

zzsoccer3 Thread Starter

was wondering if it was at all possible to take the e-machines hard drive that has windows XP installed on it and run it on a new motherboard... and it be able to read the drives???

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    you will be able to read the drives but you wont be able to run windows. You will need to reinstall windows on the hard drive after you install it in the new computer. then you will have to activate it also. It is also illegal to move the type of OEM version of WinXP liscensed to be installed on and Emachines computer on any other computer. It is called Piracy.

3. zzsoccer3

zzsoccer3 Thread Starter

thanks dustyjay.... never knew, or had thought for that matter, that it would be considered piracy... thanks for the help!n
    again may i add.... u helped me out yesterday with my MEMORY probelms... thanx!

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    memory? I forgot!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/215833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice