1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive woes- bootable sata stuff?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tezcat, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tezcat

tezcat Thread Starter

i have a sata and an ide drive and want to remove the ide.
    the initial drive was an ide. 13gig, about 5 yrs old now.

heres what i did

booted up into original os got the drivers for the sata controlers for the mobo. put them onto a floppy and restarted with the windows 2k disk in, f6, installed drivers and installed an os on the sata. (160gig. made a 30 gig partition which is the os one.) alls goodish

when i restart i get dual boot options. for the 2 versions of win2k, i can boot into either with no probs. so next i try unplugging the ide. however the sata will not pick up on boot.

when in windows, in manager. c: the ide has (system) whilst the sata partition D: with the new clean install has (boot) i would like to get rid of the old HDD as the psu is only 350w and the HDD bay is small so the 2 drives are rigth next to each other and seem to be getting too hot.

im off to format the remaining 120Gig E:
    hopefully some1 will know what im doing wrong by the time i get back from tesco

Oh. the mobo is a k7n2 delta, cant see where or how to set the sata as boot/system disk from there. and used automatic in the fastrack raid utility.

hope u can help lil old me, my girlfriend is getting impatient, she wants to play WOW.

Cheers

2. tezcat

tezcat Thread Starter

:(
    any ideas?

3. tezcat

tezcat Thread Starter

additional

i shut things down unplugged the IDE drive again and went into bios. set boot device to scsi. and trie again

it gives me a NTLDR is missing error.
    if this helps any.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice