1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive wont accept xp instalation.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fagin, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fagin

Fagin Guest Thread Starter

Can any one please help, i am trying to install Windows xp pro on to a new Maxtor Diamond Max 21 SATA hard drive in to a Dell Dimension E520 machine, when i try to install windows it starts to install files, and then i get a BSOD with the following message and error code. (cxf898f524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000 )
    Thanks in advance.

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Two things you want to look at. If your machine only supports Sata1 and you are installing a new drive that is SAta2, then you need to change the jumper on that drive to make it so Sata1 is recognized by that drive.

Second, are you loading the Sata drivers at the F6 prompt when the OS disk starts loading??????

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

That is an Intel early dual core cpu and at least a 915 chipset so no sata driver needs to be installed separately and I am sure. And considering the age of the model, that should also be sata II.
    Have you added any ram to it? The issues that cause this are corrupted XP cd, problem cd drive, bad hard drive or mismatched memory.

4. sihTdaeRtnaCuoY

sihTdaeRtnaCuoY

Check the HDD connection, I experienced this when I was installing a new HDD once and it was because the connector was loose. If possible, try using a different socket.

5. Fagin

Thanks every one for your replies.

I have checked the connections and they look ok, and if i put the old hard drive in it boots up no problem.

I have tried taking out the RAM one stick at a time (in case the RAM was causing a problem) and it will not then it will go no further than giving the BIOS information.

The original hard drive works perfectly, It is SATA 2, as is the new hard drive.

If any one has any other ideas would be most grateful, this problem is driving me crazy.

6. sihTdaeRtnaCuoY

sihTdaeRtnaCuoY

Are you sure you copied the error code correctly? Because when I search for it in a search engine, there are no results. Check to make sure you copied it right, because there should be suggested causes/solutions on microsoft.com for the error code. Then we can go from there.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like you have a new defective hard drive. I have had plenty of them from Seagate last year right out of the box.

8. Fagin

Thanks guys.

I have tried three hard drives and got the same result with all three.

Strangely though, i took out one stick of RAM and left one in to see if RAM was a problem, and it would not even give a blue screen then, it just got to the stage where it gave BIOS Iinfo,

i put the stick of RAM back in, and now even with both sticks in, it only goes as for as the BIOS info page.

Ile see if i can use memtest next and see what happens then.

9. Fagin

Ive just run Memtest and its returned no errors, so i guess that rules the RAM out.

If any one has any other idea's i would be greatly pleased to hear them.

Thanks.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

As I said earlier here are the causes:
    "The issues that cause this are corrupted XP cd, problem cd drive, bad hard drive or mismatched memory."

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672425