1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kdygert, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kdygert

Kdygert Thread Starter

Hi, brand new tonight. We have a computer (PC) that all of a sudden starting giving us boot problems. We thought it was the monitor, so I changed the monitor. One time I powered up, windows (ME) came up but froze, the next time it came up in safe mode. Now I get NOTHING. There is power to both the monitor and computer, but the green light does NOT come on the monitor. It is almost as if the computer does not know it is there. I cannot open the CD drive. I have tried to boot with a startup disk, but when powered up, the little light does not come on like it is reading ANYTHING.

My plan was to format the hard drive, but I cannot get it to come up with anything at all.

Help Please.....

Kim

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.......does the power supply fan seem to be running? If you aren't getting a light on the floppy drive, or on the cdrom, more than likely you have a bad power supply.

Try unplugging the monitor to get it out of the equation.....any beeps, lights?

3. Kdygert

Kdygert Thread Starter

Thank you for responding so soon. I am sorry not to mention that I did check to see if the fan was running. The keyboard lights up and there is power to the monitor, but the light is orange. Usually when the computer powers and boots the monitor would go green.

I think I need to know how to get the computer to "talk" to everything else.

Do you know how I can get it to boot? Should I open it and take stuff out and restuff?

4. Kdygert

Kdygert Thread Starter

PS. I tried the beer, it did not work!

5. dud

dud Guest

What kind of graphics do you have? ie, is it onboard, pci or agp?
    It might be worth going into the bios and just making sure the setting hasn't become changed which I have seen happen.

6. Kdygert

Kdygert Thread Starter

Thanks Dud, how can I check or change the bios when I cannot see anything?

The graphics are on board, but I don't know pci or other.

Any ideas?

7. ~Candy~

Any beeps at all? What happens if you start it up without the monitor connected? Does it appear to make all of the normal sounds it did before? Perhaps you can take the case cover off so you can hear better, especially the hard drive....

8. Kdygert

Kdygert Thread Starter

No sounds like it is accessing the hard drive at all. The fan is running is all I can hear. There is one green light on the front that is on, the other two don't budge.

Do you think it can be a hard drive? If so, do you think I could tackle this myself?

9. ~Candy~

I'd check the power connections inside........but, I'm concerned firstly, that you can't open the cdrom.....you should be able to do that once the system is powered up......I'd be leaning towards a power supply failure.......

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice