1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Wont Work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edgar818, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edgar818

edgar818 Thread Starter

I just purchased a western digital 160gb SATA 2 hard drive but my motherboard only has sata 1. So i hook everything on when i get to the formating screen where i pick what drive to install it on it says no hard disk detected. What can it be from?

2. Michael_C

Michael_C

Most Sata boards require an external driver not on the windows disk to be detected during a windows installation. This is because SATA ports are integrated into the raid controllers on motherboards. The motherboard drivers CD should have raid drivers. you need to make a floppy disk with the drivers. and an OEMtext file. most comapnies offer an executable file that will put those files to a disk for you. No, you cannot run teh drivers from a CD. it must be from a floppy.

3. norton850

norton850

Are you planning to use the SATA as your boot drive? If you aren't then you can load the drivers from Windows. You would also need SP1 for XP. To go back a step does BIOS see the drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice