1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive write failures; reads fine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrpro, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrpro

mrpro Thread Starter

I have a 2nd hard drive ( 120Mb) that I installed about 1 year ago. It's been that's working fine until about 2 months ago. I cannot write to it; get disk write error blue screen. I have no problems reading. It passes all the disk dianostics I could find, including powermax.

Any ideas?

thanks,

mrpro

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I'm going to assume you mean 120 gigs, not megs.

What does the blue screen read? Disk write error? Sometimes diagnostics pass, but the drive is bad. I'd try to RMA it.

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

Second backup drive contents, then RMA!

The top two causes of that
    1. Bad Drive
    2. Unstable system

99% of the time its number 1

If for some reason you want to check try running the drive in a different system, if it works fine something odd is going on. (I've had a few times thats happened and I found my PSU was dying)

Good Luck

PS drive utilities are not designed to fail a drive unless its REALLY dead many less obvious failures blow right by,
    if you can get your hands on spinrite that will either fix the drive or kill it totally so it quits working. Thats usually how I determine once and for all a drive is toast.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As a quick test you may want to try the hard drive in another computer. If its does the same thing it be the drive, if it works then it'll be your computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice