1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Caminito, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Caminito

Caminito Thread Starter

I installed a new hard drive after turning on the monitor it tells me there is no signal?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you leave an existing hard drive attached?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you are posting in a hardware forum and no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs.
    Please post exactly what you did ie installed a new drive then installed an operating system or whatever.

4. Caminito

Caminito Thread Starter

I removed the original hard drive left it sitting on the table. The drive I was trying to install was taken out of another computer. It has windows 7 professional on it. Along with a bunch of music files. Plus a few other programs. The original hard drive will be reformatted to become a second drive. The original drive is a seagate 1 TB. The other one is a Samsung Solid state 500.

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    You cannot use the hard drive that was in another computer. You need to reprogram it again and install the necessary drives your computer needs. You will loose all documents in the HDD. Make a backup before doing anything else.
    I would use the SSD as your c drive and use the HDD as backups, but that's up to you.

6. Caminito

Caminito Thread Starter

Oh, I was hoping to avoid that. Having to start all over again. But I have no choice thank you for your help.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is what I would do;
    1 Connect the ssd you want to use
    2 Boot the system with a linux live usb
    3 Copy whatever data/music files you want to save. Store those on an external, large flash drive, whatever
    4 Once the data files are safe, clean install windows on the ssd. Copy data files back over. Done

9. Caminito

Caminito Thread Starter

That’s great advice I will try that. I also purchased a Samsung 500 from Best Buy for 70 bucks. I felt it was a good deal.

10. Caminito

Caminito Thread Starter

I’m trying to install a new SSD hard drive. After turning the monitor on. It tells me the DVI can’t find the signal?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice