1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by caniac, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caniac

caniac Thread Starter

I just bought a 200GB Maxtor HDD to add to my system. I installed it using the ATA 133 PCI card that came with it since the IDE interfaces are being used by a DVD burner, CD Burner, 100GB HDD and 30 GB HDD.

The drive is on IDE 1 on the card and the shunt is set to "master". It worked fine Sunday. I partitioned and formated two 90+ partitions. I left the computer on Sunday night. I came home from work yesterday (Monday) evening and heard a clicking noise.

I figured this was one of the fans getting jammed by a cable. I opened up the box and tightened the cables inside. The clicking kept going. I left the side of my box open to try to see the obstruction. It was definately not a fan.

I began to unplug the power supply to various drives. The clicking finally stopped when I unplugged the new 200GB HDD. I tried to swap cables, use different power supply connectors, change master-slave configurations, locations on the IDE cable, locations on the IDE interfaces on the motherboard.

Each time (regardless of position etc) the system is about to boot XP the clicking begins. The noise will start right before the Windows XP black screen.

What is the problem? Is this brand new drive about to crash? What can I do?

Thanks everyone.

------------------------------
    Win XP Pro
    Epox 8kha+ MB
    2x 512 DDR 2100 Ram
    100GB WD HDD
    30 GB WD HDD
    200GB Maxtor HDD (on promise IDE pci card)
    Sony DVD drive (on promise IDE pci card)
    Sony DVD burner
    Que CD burner
    ATI All in wonder 8500dv graphic card

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I hope you didn't unplug while there was power too it.

Download Maxtors PowerMax utility and run a diagnostic on it. It will tell you if the drive is bad. The utility probably came with your new drive so maybe you will not have to download it.

3. caniac

caniac Thread Starter

haha. No, I shut it off every time I made any changes to any configurations. It got late last night so I put everything back to its original configuration and went to sleep.

4. caniac

caniac Thread Starter

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this may be?

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Did you run the PowerMax utility!!!!!!!!!!!

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sounds like the hard drive is going out............

7. caniac

caniac Thread Starter

Really? Its only been online for 24 hours. That stinks.

8. caniac

caniac Thread Starter

I have not run the utility yet because I am currently at work and this is a home computer. I will as soon as I get back home though.

Thanks

9. ~Candy~

Every so often you'll get one DOA......rare, but it happens. However, if the drive is clicking as you indicate, it hasn't got long for this lifetime ;)

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's almost certainly the drive, that's the "click of death" you hear. :) If you can access it at all, backup anything on it while you can.

11. caniac

caniac Thread Starter

Powermax does not even see the drive when it scans the devices so I cannot do anything with that software on this drive.

12. ~Candy~

RMA time ;)

13. 8Ball

8Ball

Yes that definitely sounds like a delaminated head.

I see about 30 drives a year that are DOA. Maxtor having the majority, and Western Digital in a close second.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice