1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skiavo, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skiavo

skiavo Thread Starter

i need help reformatting my hard drive. i'm running win 98se and have a 13 gig hd partitioned in two (a C drive & a D drive). i need to basically clean it all out because it doesn't run like it used to. how do i reformat both drives?? and do i have to, if the C drive is my main drive. and is it recommended to not partition it, once i reformat it, unless i'm running 2 different operating systems?? i'm going to need step by step info on this please.

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

If you don't partition it then you will lose disk space. Back up everything that you need to save, and then at a DOS prompt type in format /u. It will format the entire drive from stem to stern :)

3. mobo

mobo

You'll first need a 98 bootdisk from here http://www.24by7.ca/files/boot98se.exe. Download it to your desktop then format a floppy and double click on the downloaded file to transfer the startup files...

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

If you do not need to change the partitions, you can leave them as they are and just format them individually. (Partition 1st.....Format the partitions)
    Formatting one does nothing to the other.

What is wrong with you Win98 drive? you may not need to be that extreme

5. mobo

mobo

First do you have another system to confer with while you do this ?

Then restart the pc, enter the system bios and set the boot order to floppy drive first. Save the changes then reboot with the floppy in the drive. At the A:> prompt type format c: and enter Y when prompted..when completed post back.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice