Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

12tipp12

Hello folks, my ? is this, im thinking about buying a new high capacity external hard drive probably about 200g and im hoping to get some advice on whats the best type/one to go for. While looking around i see so many different types i simply dont,t know the advantages/disadvantages of the different types. i see firewire,sata,ata, etc etc. I have several pcs and im considering backing each os and data on the drive and im not sure if thats a sensible step to take. Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Sincerly Bill.

I'll be perfectly honest Bill,this statement could be fraught with problems; "I have several pcs and im considering backing each os and data on the drive and im not sure if thats a sensible step to take.", and I'm not even sure it could be done.
What happens if that main drive gets eaten by the dog?
If your main proviso is to make back-ups then for the price of a 200gig drive you could get a bunch of say, 20 gig drives, just to back up to.
Just a thought
Wolfey

12tipp12

Hello sir(Wolfeymole), your advice and suggestions are very much appreciated, its this sort of advice i really need as its all pretty new to me. Any more/other advice or suggestions given will certainly be carefully considered before i reach a final decision. Can i be so bold to ask if i were to buy smaller discs are they easily interchangeable in an external hd enclosure and should i buy firewire or what. Many thanks for your help.

Sincerly Bill.

Can I ask why you are choosing to go down the external route when you can just as easily hook them up internally?
Is this a security issue?
Wolfey

12tipp12

Hello again sir(Wolfeymole), the reason im considering the external option is more to do with convience than anything else, i thought with the external i wouldent have to open up the pc,s as there are 6 and allthough ive changed hard drives before ive never put 2 hd,s in the same pc so i thought i could move the external to each pc and record whats on each one plus i thought the higher capacity drives are faster, im sort of stumbling along trying to learn as i go. I thank you again sir for your interest and advice.

Sincerly Bill.

Hello again Bill
It may be better to ghost the individual drive onto another, as I feel sure what you desire cannot be done.
Having multiple os back-ups on a single hdd to me is not feasable.
Wolfey

12tipp12

Hello again sir(Wolfeymole), im also considering that option, i have norton ghost 2003 but while browsing this forum ive read that Acronis is so much better or even ghost 2005 so it sort of left me unsure of which path to follow, il certainly give the ghosting a try as im also eager to learn more about the whole process of creating a ghost image, its all rattling around in my head and im sure il get it worked out eventually. Many thanks for all your advice its invaluable to me.

Sincerly Bill.

DoubleHelix

Banned
If you want to back up multiple computers to one hard drive you need an external storage solution. Taking one hard drive out of one computer and putting in several others will get old really quick. Whether or not you should use USB or firewire depends on the capabilities of the computers you want to back up. Do all these computers have one connection or the other? With PCs, USB is more common than firewire.

How much data are you wanting to back up? It may or may not all fit on one drive.

12tipp12

Hello sir(DoubleHelix), thanks for your interest, the thing im most concerned is one or more of the pc,s crashing and they are all different pc,s with different speeds etc, as for the amount of data, nothing more than the average family pc, and judging by your reply its a different connection for firewire which i had no idea about, the only thing im sure of is they have usb ports so any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerly Bill.

DoubleHelix

Banned
The specifications of the computers (beyond having USB support) are irrelevant in backing up data. You have to look at each one and see exactly how much data is stored on them. You also have to decide if you want to back up everything using an imaging program like Ghost or if you just want to back up data. A full Ghost image will take up much more space.

12tipp12

Hello again sir(DoubleHelix) Yes i will have to take all those points into consideration, especially if im right in thinking that to back up everying including the operating systems will take up the same amount of space again as the original images on the hard drives and some of the pc,s dont have very big drives. All this advice and input from such learned people as yourself and the others is invaluable to me in deciding how to deal with this. Many thanks and any further advice/input will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerly Bill.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online