1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iceworx, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iceworx

Iceworx Thread Starter

Alright , on my Acer Aspire 1700, It runs great.
    The problem starts when I start using it for a long period of time.

After a couple of hours my computer starts making a beeping sound, a constant beep.

Beep ....... Beep......... Beep........... Beep.........

For every beep, the hard drive light blinks once, for instance.

Beep ....... Beep......... Beep........... Beep.........
    Light.........Light..........Light.............Light.........

Then it shuts down to give me a blue screen, memory dump. I dont know what the problem could be.

Overheating ? Ram problem ? If its ram problem wouldnt it show sooner as when i start up ?
    For my laptop I had 2 larger fans installed just to evade overheating, so i doubt it could be it.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Any ideas what the problem could be ?
    2. I installed the larger fans and had to plug them in to give them power, so I was thinking it might be lack of electricity ? If so is there any way i can monitor this ?
    My laptop is Plugged in the wall 24/7 whenever I am on it.

Any other way to monitor wht the problem could be ?

Also, when I insert certain CD´s in the dvd drive, the drive makes a weird Beep, then it just doesnt read the disk.
    And when i insert other cd´s in it works just fine.

Im completely lost.

2. Iceworx

Iceworx Thread Starter

3. norton850

norton850

I thought this would be easy. Lots of Google hits -- all unanswered! Once the laptop beeps and shuts down are you able to turn it right back on? Does this happen both on battery and plugged in?

4. Iceworx

Iceworx Thread Starter

Nope, after it turns off I have to wait a while to be able to turn it back on.
    My laptop battery life is about 20 minutes, so I have never tried with just the battery.

5. norton850

norton850

When you have to wait to turn something back on it often needs to cool down. A problem more difficult on a laptop to troubleshoot. I know you replaced the fans. Try shutting down when the beeps start and go into BIOS and check temps.

Don't know if it's related, but have you tried running on the battery until it is fully discharged and then charging it. Not usually necessary with modern charging systems/batteries but obviously 20 minutes is pretty bad. Or do you figure that the battery is just shot?

6. Iceworx

Iceworx Thread Starter

The battery isnt shot, it's just the way it is. This system requries a lot of energy , it being a very large system, check it out for yourself.

Acer Aspire 1700.

Now heres what i think the problem might be though, when I added new fans, I plugged them in to the Hard Drive connector. To make it clear this is how it goes
    Power > Fans > Hard Drive.

I think maybe since the laptop was not designed to have that maybe the hard drive has a lack of electricity going to it making it hard to read after a period of time ? its just a long shot but I would really like your opinion.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice