Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stitchez

I have a Compaq 5441 and I am trying to put a 40gig Western Digital H/D in it. There are no settings in the bios for a H/D at all and it won't recognize the new H/D at all. I am running Window 98SE that was pre installed. I have an 8gig & 4gig in it. I want to take them out and put the 40gig in.

You are in for more than installing the 40GB drive if you are going to replace the original 2 drives. The information you are looking for is under IDE configuration page or something similar. If you don't clone the OS from the old drive to the new one you are looking at completly re-installing Windows again...not always an easy task even for someone that does it for a living.

stitchez

I have had to reinstall the OS several times, it's not to bad. I just can't get the thing to recognize the H/D . If the BIOS can't find it and the computer can't recognize anything over 8 gigs will I even be able to use it?

I have a Compaq computer similar to yours, which I am also planning to add a larger hard drive (greater than 8g). It is my understanding that in order for the bios to recognize the drive, the drive must be partitioned into 2 or more drives. With the 8g limit and a 40g drive, that would be 5 drives. Hope this helps.

Sandra

BIOS does not know how many partitions you may have on a drive. The fact is, if the BIOS does not support/recognize your drive, there is no way you can partition it anyway, unless you do it from a different machine. You might see if WD has a utility for installing large hard drives. I know Seagate has an excellent utility for their hard drives that fools the BIOS/OS etc into getting past the 4Gb/8Gb restrictions that some MB's have.

stitchez

Thank you Stretcher and SandraG for the info, I downloaded a program from W/D but have to run it in windows 98. Maby it can find it. I am not going to try though untill I have time to sit down and do nothing else.
Thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online