1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drives and Ram not being detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sean9461, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

I recently bought the following computer parts and began putting them together:

2 SATA 1TB Hard Disk Drives
    ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard DDR3 PCIE Socket AM3
    4 2GB DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz PC Memory
    AMD Phenom II x4 Quad 965 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache CPU

The motherboard has 4 DIMM slots with dual channel.

at first i connected all DIMM chips and both SATA hard drives, and found that the system turned on (fans spinned) but no display was shown at all.

So i removed 3 DIMM chips and with one 2GB chip the system will boot into bios.

The DIMMS being the first problem as for some reason my motherboard wont utilise all 4. And they are all exactly the same.

The second problem is that, when in bios, the 2 SATA hard disk drives are not detected in any way.
    I cant set a boot order as they are not detected in the bios, and not detected from windows installation booting from USB stick.

Has anyone else had any similar problems and if possible could you provide me with a fix?

Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post your exact specs ie brand and wattage of pw supply, the exact ram you installed, what video card is installed, etc.
    If possible post links to your parts.

3. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are right your links do not work.
    I do not see any pw supply listed. Did you use a quality pw supply ie corsair, seasonic, fsp, pcpower&cooling or what?
    Next did you check the qvl list at asus for ram compatibility?

BTW there is no need for arctic silver since the cpu will come with a hsf and a thermal pad already applied. Did you remove this pad and apply A/S?

5. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, i used a 750watt modular power supply. and i have 120 mm fan, and an 80 mm fan with also a cpu fan.
    i did not check the list for ram compatability as the supplier said it was compatible when i bought it.

and i didnt see any paste already applied, it looked clean to me. Would it make a difference if i added the AS over the top?

The power supply is also by the manufacturer TrendSonic.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes huge difference ie it will overheat if you applied A/S to a hsf that already had a thermal pad. If this was a retail cpu, it came with a pad already.
    If that was a pw supply that came with a case, most [however not all] of those are junk. The exception would be an antec case/pw supply.

Here is what I would do;
    1 Pull the hsf and clean ALL parts with 99 or 91% alcohol. Do not use the 70% stuff you find in a supermarket [it contains lanolin and will leave a residue. Reinstall the hsf with fresh A/S applied in accordance with the instructions on the A/S site.
    2 Swap in a known good pw supply from a quality mfg ie corsair, fsp, antec, pcpower&cooling, etc
    3 Use the system you are posting on now to check the ram at the asus site

I would do an out of the case build to check your mounting, etc. If you need instructions on how to do this, read the problem build sticky at the top of the forum.

7. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

unfortunatly i dont have another power supply, but from what i can tell this is a good power supply it came with loads of extra cables for oher systems such as IDE and SATA aswell as other countries and was pretty expensive, i got the best one i could for this reason.

and unfortunatly i cant check the ram, as it doesnt seem to have a manufacturers name on it.

Thanks again.

oh, and it didnt come with the case, i bought it as extra.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well it is good you bought a separate pw supply.
    Think about this for just a minute. If someone will not put their name on something, what does that tell you about the quality???

The best advise I can give you is to read through the sticky at the top of the page for troubleshooting problem builds. If you do not feel comfortable doing the tasks outlined, then take the parts to a shop and have them diagnose the problem for you.

9. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

Well if one ram chip works, surely it is compatable? i can run one chip by its self, but when i put in all 4, it doesnt show anything on screen.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. As I said follow the guide OR take the parts to a shop for diagnosis.

11. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

Well, in the manual for the motherboard which i reading it has a MemOK! function, it says when the LED is flashing red it is tuning the ram to work. it is currently flashing red so it must be tuning at the moment.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely you have very low quality ram ie no name. Quite often this is ram made by name brand mfg that does not pass quality control and is resold without a brand name.

I would really really follow the guide or take the parts to someone how can troubleshoot it for you.

13. sean9461

sean9461 Thread Starter

I folowed the guide, with no change, but the company internetct, i spoke to on the phone, they had good reputation as i spoke to some friends who bought from them, and the ram i bought specifically says it has been tested for quality control.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you follow the guide, the last part is to swap parts with known good units ie pw supply, mb, ram, video. Unless you have done that, you have not followed the guide. If you do not have the spare parts, that is why I suggest taking it to a shop.

IF you follow the complete guide, you WILL find the cause of your problem.

In order to find the cause of any given problem, it is necessary to test in a systematic manner. If you do not do that, you might find the cause of your problem however you most likely will not.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said, if a company will not put their name on a product, what does that tell you about quality???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice