1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drives IDE/SATA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackdw, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

I currently have a 80gb seagate IDE hard drive. Fair enough, does the job pretty well.
    I've been meaning to upgrade for a while and what I've seen around alot lately is SATA hard drives. New PSU, it has one SATA drive connector, my motherboard has two signal ones. The hardware is there just I have a few questions:

1. How easy is it to set up the drivers on XP Professional, I assume it can be done without wiping the system.
    2. Can I still use the 80gb one? (It will eb used to boot off, the SATA will be used for storage)
    3. How can I find out if my motherboard has SATA I or SATA II?

Also, if soemone could maybe give a step by step guide, that would be ace.

Cheers
    Jack

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's a piece of cake to setup SATA with an existing XP installation, just load the drivers, all done! :D

There's your "step-by-step" guide. :D

There is no problem using SATA and PATA together in systems, I have three systems here with that combination. You can configure it to boot from either type of drive.

3. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

So do I have to go in winXP installation and do it there or can I do it in windows?
    Also, how exactly do I go about making sure it boots from the IDE drive.
    One more thing. Norton ghost, could I ghost the IDE drive to the SATA? That would improve boot boot times and loading times etc.

Thanks for the reply John.

4. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Much depends on your motherboard / BIOS, and just to make it fun, they're generally all at least slightly different!

You should have some control over the configuration of drives in your BIOS.
    Being able to choose between PATA and SATA or combinations.
    Your motherboard's manual is usually the best guide.

Yes, you can clone your current install from the IDE to the SATA, but again booting from the SATA is not guaranteed for Windows if it doesn't have the appropriate RAID/SCSI driver to recognize and use that device.
    And again, depends how the motherboard handles the SATA and IDE busses.
    Best to just try it, and hopefully it'll be pretty straightforward........
    Suck it and see, as they say. :)

5. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

ok thanks for that.
    The thing is, I don't want to go and waste £60 odd ($111 US money) on a hard drive that I won't even be able to store stuff on.
    So just to confirm, if I plug it in, bootup, it should appear in my computer ready to store things on?

6. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Pretty much.

You may still need to venture into your BIOS to adjust a setting or two.
    Like I said, a decent motherboard manual should tell you everything you need to know. ;)

Oh, and you'll have to format the drive of course, before you can store any files.

7. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Ha, is that in fdisk? I'm not entirely sure on that, I'm used to windows setups doing it for me...

8. bigbear

bigbear

So just to confirm, if I plug it in, bootup, it should appear in my computer ready to store things on?[/QUOTE]
    Not quite right, install the drive, load the sata drivers then you need to format it in diskmanagement before you can use it.:D

9. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

I know SATA drivers come on floppy. Theres an issue in itself (no floppy drive!), but do I tell it to boot from A: or windows setup or...

10. bigbear

bigbear

If you go to the makers website you should be able to download a cd version of the drivers

11. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

12. bigbear

bigbear

Sorry, Hard drive makers:eek:

13. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

14. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Would that come with the drive when it gets delivered? Anyway it's seagate so a well known make.
    I think thats all off me, thanks for your help.

Could you just keep an eye out on thsi topic please, just incase anything else pops in my head

EDIT
    sorry Rumpo-Stiltskin, posted while i was posting.
    RAID drivers. Ok, if you think, I thought that was merging hard drives though...

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Drivers don't come with the hard drive, they come with the motherboard.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/470255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice