hard drives not found on reformat

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angelbabe1k

hi i have had this computer for a year now and after a year of downloading random things from the internet and removing and installing sofatware the computer has finally gone to pot.

so i need to reformat because it has become so bad now that my wireless internet wont work and i know its not the wireless so i need reformat it because i new it was ruined before i took it off my brother.

But when i go to reformat it it brings up that it cannot find the hard drives and the setup cannot continue ive tried several times to get it to work but it wont, so does any1 have any ideas how i can get it to work??

thanks

What operating system do you intend to install? . . Do you have SATA drive?

I know this sounds obvious but you be surprised how often it happens.....Are all the cables seated correctly ?

To get windows installer to recognize the SATA drive, you load the SATA install drivers on a floppy disc, put the disc in and enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . quickly after that, you will see a prompt at the bottom of the screen to "Press F6 to load third party drivers" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online