1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drives not recognized in BIOS or MY COMPUTER

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vic440, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vic440

vic440 Thread Starter

Hard Drives not recognized in BIOS or MY COMPUTER

Problem: An MSI 845 M/B, Socket 478, P4,1.7Gh, Windows 2000 Pro,128K SDRAM.

Primary Master: Maxtor 30GB,7200, partitioned 10- & 20; Primary Slave is 24X CD-ROM.

Additional hard drives are never recognized in BIOS or in MY COMPUTER, nor are drives that are attached to a Maxtor Ultra ATA /100 IDE Adapter card recognized. All possible settings in the BIOS have been tried, and jumpers, power, and ribbon cables have been triple-checked.

Firewire card recognized but message says it can’t start (Code 10).

I boot up the computer: The following is a device manager listing.

DEVICE MANAGER

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Controller

! ! ! Primary IDE Channel ……. [ Location 7 (0) ], IRQ 14, 01F0-01f7
    03f6-03f6
    “This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use”.(Code 12)
    “If you want to use this device you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.”

Primary Ultra ATA Channel – is using the resources of the primary IDE Channel

! ! ! Secondary IDE Channel …. [ Location 7 ( 1), IRQ 15, 0170-0177
    0376-0376
    Same message as Primary IDE Channel (Code 12)
    It is not using any resources because of the problem.

Secondary Ultra ATA Channel.- is using the resources of the secondary IDE channel.

In “other devices” a PCI Device gets detected. Don’t know what it is, so I disable it.
    In “IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers there is an exclamation mark next to the
    ! ! ! Texas Instrument OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller. When I view Properties message is “ The device can not start (Code 10 ). Going to RESOURCES shows a message, “This device is not using any resources because it has a problem”.

I’d greatly appreciate any insight you might be able to give me to try and solve these problems.
    Thank you,
    Vic440

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi vic440, welcome to TSG....

Sounds like you may not have enough IRQs to run everything you're trying to run.....

Do you have any com ports that you aren't using that you can disable?

Maybe post a listing of your IRQs....

3. Rockn

Rockn

Take out the ATA 100 controller and connect the drives to your secondary on-board connector. Your systems BIOS will never recognize anything on the ATA controller as it has it's own BIOS to configure anything attached to it.

4. vic440

vic440 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Here is the list of IRQ's and DMA's
    ...vic440

IRQ # DEVICE

00 System Timer
    1 Keyboard
    3 COM2
    4 COM1
    6 Floppy Disk Controller
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Microsoft ACPI compliant system
    10 MPU-401 MIDI device
    12 PS2 Mouse
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 1-Primary IDE Channel ....... 2- Primary Ultra ATA channel
    15 1-Secondary IDE Channel ...... 2- Secondary Ultra ATA channel
    16 1-Video Adapter S3 ViRGE DX/GX 2- LT Win Modem
    19 Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
    21 CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
    23 Standard Universal PCI to USB host controller

Note: Fire Wire Card not assigned resources because the device cannot start (Code 10)

DMA

2 Standard Floppy disk Controller
    3 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    4 Direct Memory Access Controller

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Code 10
    If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

Code 12
    This device cannot find any free <type> resources to use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you must disable another device that is using the resources this device needs. To do this, click Hardware Troubleshooter and follow the instructions in the wizard.

where <type> is a resource type (IRQ, DMA, Memory, or I/O).

Solution button: Hardware Troubleshooter

This code means that one of the resource arbitrators failed. This can occur if the device is software configurable and it does not currently have a resource (if the system is out of resources). For example, all the interrupts are in use, or the device requests a resource that is currently in use by another device that will not release the resource.

To resolve this problem, follow the instructions in the Hardware Troubleshooter. In addition, see the "Troubleshooting Conflicting Hardware" topic in Windows 95 Help, or see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID: Q133240
    TITLE: Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager

Taken from this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q125174

6. vic440

vic440 Thread Starter

Hi Rockn,

Did that. Secondary master and slave not recognized by system BIOS, only primaries are recognized. When I install the ATA card and attach drives, the BIOS on the card does its thing and then reports no drives are attached because the card is not installed.

On a previous P2-350 I had 8 ide devices running at the same time, 4 off the system BIOS, and 4 off the ATA card.

7. Rockn

Rockn

And what devices are on the motherboards second channel? What cable are you using on the motherboards second channel? If you are using the 80 pin UATA cable and the drives are not compatible they will never be detected. Try a 40 pin cable and see what happens.

8. vic440

vic440 Thread Starter

Hi,

Tried all the things you mentioned without success. One good thing came out of it though; you sent me to the Microsoft website where I got the error codes explanations and possible solutions, and realized that there was a wealth of information on the site. Thank you for pointing me in that direction.

After spending all my waking hours toiling over this turkey, and some of my sleeping hours rolling it over in my head, my wife, who knows nothing about computers, stated the obvious:" If it doesn't work, bring it back!". Reluctantly I did just that. The motherboard was exchanged for another one and I was able to put everything back together and fire it up. Drives were recognized in the BIOS and functioned. The ATA100 still is not recognized and I will deal with that at another time. At least I'm finally (?) able to put the cabinet back on and get on the web.
    There evidently was something amiss with the motherboard or BIOS that caused some of the problems. My wife said I probably caused most of the problems myself. :)

Thanks again for your help.

9. vic440

vic440 Thread Starter

Second channel had 2 Maxtor drives,7200. Mix and match 40&80 didn't change things. Swapped ouy the motherboard for a new one, and things started looking up. The ATA100 card is still not recognized. Usually a screen appears that shows the drives that are attached to the card, and then they will show up in MY COMPUTER. Not so right now. A reply to AcaCandy explains the rest of the story. Thanks for your input. I'll probably get back to you when I get around to trying to get the ATA100 card to work.

...vic440

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice