1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drives show in Safely Remove Hardware.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ClickCardo, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ClickCardo

ClickCardo Thread Starter

Had system problems that appear to be a virus/spyware of some type that even ZoneAlarm and Spy Sweeper could not detect. Tried to diagnose for all hardware problems to no avail. So I did a clean re-install of Windows XP Pro SP2 with a format of the Primary partition that had the old OS on it.

Everything went as expected and I've been running for 8 hours now with no problems except that when I right-click the Safely Remove Hardware task icon it shows all of my 3 hard drives in addition to the expected USB card reader drives. I've never seen this before. My computer builder says it's ok just not to try to remove the hard drives. DUH! But I think he does not know what he's talking about and is just getting me off his back quickly.

Can anybody tell me if this is a problem and if so how I might correct it?

Thanks
    CC

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think he's right :)

Most new systems that use SATA drives show this way, its because SATA allows for hot swapping of drives.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, it's only nVidia chipsets, and some versions of the nVIdia drivers don't show them that way. This system has two SATA drives, and they don't show up as removable, and even the nVidia chipset one stopped doing that under Vista.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've seen VIA boards show some SATA drives this way too.

5. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Its not a problem at all, a lot of boards show sata drives in safely remove hardware and indeed the reason is for hot swapping. I'd imagine some driver was updated on your reinstall that simply enabled this option, and it's really quite a handy feature ^^

Btw, if you do remove them its not a problem either. They'll be back after your next reboot

6. ClickCardo

ClickCardo Thread Starter

Thanks for straightening this out for me everybody. It may be likely that I used the ASUS driver wizard that came with my A8N32-SLI mobo in this system and my original system builder did it differently and that fits everybody's explanation.

7. JohnWill

Actually, when you attempt to remove them, they always say you can't remove them. :) Obviously, since many times they're the boot drive, it stands to reason you can't remove them. ;)

8. stranglehold

stranglehold

Can they be blocked from appearing on the list? If you never want to remove them, why have them in the way?

9. JohnWill

Updated motherboard drivers may make them disappear. There is also a registry hack around to clear the "removable" bit and remove them.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice