Hard Drive's Total Capacity has been reduced!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

akira77

Hi. My computer has been the subject of many, many problems over the course of the past 2 years. I don't know why, and I've tried enlisting the help of friends and professionals alike in my quest to solve these problems, but nothing yet has worked.

The most recent issue: For the past 5 months, my computer has laid dormant in my bedroom. It pretty much "fried" at a LAN party I took it to during September, and since this was the 5th time it had "fried," I was in no rush to find out why. So, a few weeks ago, I finally decided to send it into a local computer shop to get it fixed.

Well, they checked it out, and told me that there was no ram in the computer. Apparantly, I had lent it to a friend of mine during the computer's 5 month hibernation and I had simply forgotten. In any case, they told me my computer was working just fine, and there were plenty of programs still on the hard drive. Great, I thought, I paid these guys 35 bucks to tell me I'm stupid.

So anyway, when I got it back, I decided to start off fresh with a nice reformat. So, I called over a friend who works with computers and he reformatted my computer for me. Unfortunately, about a day later, I realize something odd: I was using up 8 out of 18 gigs on my hard drive. What was odd about this was twofold: A) It was only recognizing one of my harddrives, and B) neither of my hard drives had anything less than 60 gigs of maximum space.

In the end, I tried reformatting again and installing XP on the bigger of the two hard drives, but that didn't work either. Something about "This drive cannot be partitioned" or something. So here I am, with a gimp hard drive and one that doesn't even work. Is this just a stupid mistake on my part or do I have to buy a third hard drive?

dustyjay

Jay
you lent your computer to a friend then suddenly it had no ram installed? Are you sure that the hard drives were the same ones that you had in there before this friend borrowed it as well?

akira77

Yes. The computer was with me the whole time, only the ram was in other hands. As far as system specs, I'm not sure what RAID is. I can tell you that my comp has an AMD Athlon processor, 2.01 GHz, and 1 Gig of ram total. Ask for any other specs you may need.

akira77 said:
Hi. My computer has been the subject of many, many problems over the course of the past 2 years. I don't know why, and I've tried enlisting the help of friends and professionals alike in my quest to solve these problems, but nothing yet has worked.

The most recent issue: For the past 5 months, my computer has laid dormant in my bedroom. It pretty much "fried" at a LAN party I took it to during September, and since this was the 5th time it had "fried," I was in no rush to find out why. So, a few weeks ago, I finally decided to send it into a local computer shop to get it fixed.

Well, they checked it out, and told me that there was no ram in the computer. Apparantly, I had lent it to a friend of mine during the computer's 5 month hibernation and I had simply forgotten. In any case, they told me my computer was working just fine, and there were plenty of programs still on the hard drive. Great, I thought, I paid these guys 35 bucks to tell me I'm stupid.

So anyway, when I got it back, I decided to start off fresh with a nice reformat. So, I called over a friend who works with computers and he reformatted my computer for me. Unfortunately, about a day later, I realize something odd: I was using up 8 out of 18 gigs on my hard drive. What was odd about this was twofold: A) It was only recognizing one of my harddrives, and B) neither of my hard drives had anything less than 60 gigs of maximum space.

In the end, I tried reformatting again and installing XP on the bigger of the two hard drives, but that didn't work either. Something about "This drive cannot be partitioned" or something. So here I am, with a gimp hard drive and one that doesn't even work. Is this just a stupid mistake on my part or do I have to buy a third hard drive?

Howdy folks...

Personally when I run into problems like this I'll zero fill the drive using the manufactures diagnostics...

May be other ideas out there though...

zero fill is using
a hard disk maintainance program that writes to the whole
disk partition area and then it can read the disk and sees if that
was done to check disk function and it cleans disk off.

but you need to figure what is happening with your
partitions first.

Go into your control panel, then administrative tools, then disk management. At the bottom of that report, you'll see horizontal bars that show what disks you have and how they're partitioned.

Post that back. Let's see what you're working with before you wipe any drives..

There is a program called DBAN, search for it using google, download and follow the instructions. This will fix the problems you are currently experiencing, but you will need a fresh copy of Windows to install on it - also all data you have now will be lost, so think about it before using the product..

So what happens when you right click on disk 1 and try and create a partition and format it ?

If it throws an error please give the exact error...

Before we do anything do both drives show in the bios? Have you checked the cable that it is plugged in securely? Have you tried another cable?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online