1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drvie shows as 31gb - what to do!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stannie65, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stannie65

stannie65 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I've recently got a new system and i am transferring my old hard drives into it so i can use them as slaves as they have some old data on.

I have tried this 200gb hard drive in the computer and in an external box, as well as my mate trying it on his computer but all it shows up as is 31.5gb and says that it needs formatting, which obviously i dont want to do as it has data on. I have tried different jumper positions and there is still no change.

Am i doing something obviously wrong?!

Is there a way of backing up the drive and then re-formatting?

It seems that the drive might be bust, but then why does it get recognised by the computer?!

Please help guys, need the data off this drive!

cheers

rob

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I know it may not be possible, but the best way to get the data is to put it back in th eold computer, and store on external storage- zip drive, usb stick, cd, dvd, whatever is possible. There is a good chance that once formatted the drive will work perfectly, but is not compatible in its current format.
    Afraid I cant give any more at themo, if it isnt any use , post and give a few more details ( OS, mobo, etc for new and old sys) and see if we cant get a bit better result :)

3. SB305

SB305

Is it a parallel hard drive?
    If so, is a Capacity Limitation jumper set on the back which limits it to 32GB?
    Just guessing - I'd never heard of this jumper before but Googling throws up a load of reference to it and I notice on a brand new Maxtor drive that there's a couple of sets of jumper pins which, curiously, are not labelled.

4. stannie65

stannie65 Thread Starter

yeah its not possible to do that, hence i gave it to a mate to try in his computer. We are both running vista though and its a old ish samsung drive, whether its not compatible i dont know but i think i had it working when i first set up the new computer, and then swapped it out for another one.

the model number is SP which according to the diagrams here http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer...?PG_ID=1&AT_ID=5549&PROD_SUB_ID=26&PROD_ID=-1

shows that i should use two jumpers but the diagrams on the hard drive itself asks for just one, and it worked in the old XP computer with one jumper. It appears in disk management so i presume its not totally screwed.

One thing i do remember is that on a certain jumper setting, when starting the computer up it wouldnt get past the scripting before the windows logo shows up........

i might be answering my own questions but you guys will know more than me!

5. SB305

SB305

What does it show as in BIOS when connected as an internal drive?

6. stannie65

stannie65 Thread Starter

can't remember it showing up to be honest.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you format FAT32? If so and you formatted in XP, then that is a normal result.

The data can be recovered if not overwritten.

You could try scanning with recovery software. They vary in how well they detect drives that the OS does not detect.

Free recovery applications:

1) Recuva
    2) PCI File Recovery
    3) Restoration
    4) Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    5) Softperfect File Recovery
    6) ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    7) Undelete Plus
    8) Data Recovery
    9) Recover Files
    10) DriveRescue
    11) Ultimate Data Recovery
    12) Disk Investigator

Many people have had success recovering the data by recovering the partition.

Free:

Testdisk Documentation
    Testdisk Download
    Partition Find & Mount
    Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
    [email protected] Partition Recovery
    Bootmaster Partition Recovery
    ZAR Partition Recovery
    DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
    Partition Table Doctor

8. muntez

muntez

) run antivirus scaner too for that because some viruses do that thing with hard drives to format hard drives )

9. stannie65

stannie65 Thread Starter

cool will try some programs, system is virus free.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Was it FAT32? If so, I think the drive is fine, too, and you will be able to use it once it is partitioned and formatted properly.

11. stannie65

stannie65 Thread Starter

how do i find if it is fat32!? im using that partitoin find adn mount, its scanning the drive now, the light is flashing so its at least accessing it and has found one partition up to 137gig.

which program do you recommend?

12. stannie65

stannie65 Thread Starter

right that partition find and mount has found two partitions as they should be. What do i do next? mount them? i dont have enough room on other drives though.

13. stannie65

stannie65 Thread Starter

right, using that partition find and mount i am now able to access the drive to move stuff off. I guess the way to go is to move off the stuff that i want and then reformat the drive? this is taking ages to move just photos though so is there a way around this or do i have to do it like this?

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

I guess you have to do what you have to do. At least it not lost, right?

FAT32 will limit the drive size in XP since above that size, FAT32 is very slow compared to NTFS. So if you formatted it in XP, that's why the small size. If you really need FAT32, you need to format with a third-party utility, but NTFS will be more stable and faster on a drive that size.

After you get your stuff, repartition the drive. Don't just format it.

Right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Right-click the drive and remove all partitions so that it is all unallocated space. Then, create a new one (or new ones) the sizes you want and format them to NTFS. After that, I suspect that drive will work fine.

15. stannie65

stannie65 Thread Starter

right, i used that partition find and mount, and the drive showed up fine, ive dragged all the stuff off that i need, though it took 2 days!!

Preparing to format the drive, as it flashes up saying i need to format it anyway. When i click format, it allows me to choose the size, the only option is 31.4 gig. I have tried the jumper in every vertical position possible and it still comes up as 31.4 gig.

I tried the above suggestion, but in disk management, it doesnt show any partitions, just the drive as one 31.4 gig sized drive.

ARRRGGHH

The drive isn't bust cos i can read the files off using partition programs but cant figure out how to get it working properly, any more suggestions guys?!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice