1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Freeze during gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by guppies, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guppies

guppies Thread Starter

Hello! My computer has been having issues with playing games such as Overwatch and Fallout 4. My computer will at random moments stop and will not continue until I restart. Also, I stream occasionally and at any moment it will freeze. I have talked with a few computer saavy friends and they think it may be an overheating issue but I just wanna get more opinions. Here is my build.

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    RAM: 16gb
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z170M-PLUS, Rev X.0x

I stream using OBS is that helps. I do not have watercooling for my graphics or processor but I have fans.
    Thank you!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    It is either an overheating issue or a power issue most likely.

Whats the make and model of your Power SUpply? Whats your GPUs' Temps in game?

3. guppies

guppies Thread Starter

My Power Supply is 850 Watt fully modular.

My CPU cooler is a Zaaman 135 mm and I also have 3 case fans.

According the MSi AfterBurner my temp is at 57C (don't know how reliable that is) with Overwatch open but I think its increasing slowly.

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    If its an MSI GTX 970 MSI Afterburner will be spot on. if youre in game, and its only 57c thats not bad. WHats the actual name of the power supply. Is it a Corsair or Thermaltake or FSP? Post the model as well

5. guppies

guppies Thread Starter

To be honest, I feel like my fans run a bit harder than they are right now with the game on and when it freezes but I'll leave Overwatch on for now and see if there are any changes.

My supply is a Seasonic M 12 Evo Edition (not sure if thats the right format of the name! haha)

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
  7. guppies

guppies Thread Starter

That looks exactly like it. I think its an 850Watt... or at least that's what my friend said he sold me! I'm not sure where to check for the watt on the actual power supply

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    pull off the side cover of the tower and see what it says on the actual unit. If you have a 500-600 watt one you may be kind of low but if its 850W you should be fine.

9. guppies

guppies Thread Starter

Yeah its 850W. For the future, what is approximately the max temperature a CPU should be when im playing a game? Just so when it crashes again I can maybe rule out overheating?

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Depends on the CPU itself. Normally there's 2 temps, one is the absolute physical temperature it can handle without actually melting and the other is what it can handle without throttling itself back causing performance issues.

I know when I had my 6700K I could play BF4 on maximum settings and still only be about 55-60 after playing for long time.

11. guppies

guppies Thread Starter

Hmmm I'm trying to get my computer to heat up so the fans are going as fast as they are when it actually freezes... the temp just peaks at 65 and the fans wont go faster. Anyways I think its fine for now but for example when I stream that's when for sure it will freeze probably hours into the stream.

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Turn on the streaming and watch the temps in realtime and see if it goes super hot. The other thing may be a dirty or clogged cooler fan...have you checked it recently? What kind of thermal compound did you use on it? How long ago since it had fresh compound put on it?

13. guppies

guppies Thread Starter

I dusted the computer last week (still had problems before). I haven't put any thermal compound on it since.. It's been about 2 years since I got the computer and I havent done it since so.. haha. That might be it! Also, would you recommend getting a water cooling system for my CPU? Also I tested the stream and yes the temperature increases but then it regulates pretty quick back to 60ish.

14. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ill tell you what here's my recommendation...

I would, in all honesty, replace your current cooler with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Use 93% pure isopropyl alcohol and clean off the CPU really good. Use FRESH Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste on the new cooler and see if that helps. I have used the hyper 212 models for MANY YEARS and even use done before on and old Q6600 and over clocked it from 2.4ghz to 3.2ghz ON AN AIR COOLER! It is the best air cooler you can get , in my opinion.

I don't do or recommend the "water cooling" thing for a build unless you're planning to do some SERIOUS LONG TERM overclocking.

Also something a lot of people don't think about, know or realize, is that when you install a case fan or any computer fan for that matter, you want a steady stream of airflow all going in one direction so you're not fighting different fans that are going different directions at the same time.

You want the fans to SUCK AIR IN from the FRONT and to BLOW OUT AIR in the BACK. If you have a top fan also you want it to SUCK AIR IN.

15. guppies

guppies Thread Starter

I actually have a buddy who has that fan and he said the same thing. I guess I will invest in this fan! My current case fans are installed correctly because I can feel the air flow but I'll keep that in mind for the other fan. Is there a reason why you dont recommend the water cooler thing ? Just wondering! Thank you for all your help so far.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice