1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard lock-up with LAN/NIC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leeroysphits, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leeroysphits

leeroysphits Thread Starter

Hello. I've tried googling this little problem of mine every way I can think of and have attacked it from every angle I could come up with but no dice!

The problem is this: When my PC is connected to the internet using the on-board ethernet card the machine locks up (frozen screen, no HDD activity, unresponsive to mouse/ keyboard). This happens after 1-3 minutes online and the machine must be rebooted. Sometimes it is frozen upon reboot. However if I access the internet via a wireless G adapter I have no problems.

Here is what I have.

Pentium 2.4 gigahertz processor.
    p4 l4vxa2 mainboard with via vt8754 northbridge and vt8235 southbridge chipsets.
    VIA Rhine II fast ethernet adapter. (on board)
    nvidia geforce fx 5500 AGP video adapter
    Windows XP Pro
    1.75 gigs of ram
    Belkan f5d 7230-4 wireless G router.
    Webstar cable modem.

Here are a number of the things I have tried.

I have updated all pertinent drivers (4 in 1, ethernet card, video card).
    I have used 3 different Routers, 2 Belkans and one Zyxel. No change.
    I have reset my cable modem.
    I have swapped ALL cables.
    I have uninstalled and re-installed onboard lan.
    I have modified the following settings on my adapter: Adaptive interrupt, connection type, I have increased both receive and transmit buffers to the max of 256 (from 64). I have now reset all settings since there was no change.
    I have disabled AEGIS, QOS and EAPP.
    I rebuilt the TCPIP stack with the "netsh int ip reset" command.
    I used the "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" command and checked for old Network adapters and drivers.
    I have changed BIOS configuration to reset ECSD to fix any conflicts I couldn't see.
    I have enabled PNP OS setting in BIOS.
    I have manually set IRQ settings in BIOS. (Windows ignored the changed settings and I didn't want to disable the hardware abstraction layer.)
    I reset all BIOS settings to original state since there was no change.
    I have used a DIFFERENT computer with the router and cable modem and the different computer WORKED FINE.
    I swapped out my current hard drive with a back-up hard drive that has the SAME copy of XP installed for this particular machine and it WORKED FINE.
    I have updated and used cw shredder, ad-aware, spybot, windows malicious code removal tool (from Microsoft Windows Update), AVG and stinger. Nothing found.
    I have disabled the on-board LAN adapter and installed a PCI Ethernet card and the problem persisted on the new card.

I have used REGMON to see which keys are called when the machine freezes.
    The one that catches my eye is HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET002\SERVICES\TCPIP\LINKAGE\BIND and it is listed as a Buffer Overrun but I can't find enough through web searches to know how to look into it further.

In short if my PC is connected to the net with an Ethernet cable it is unstable.

All of this leads me to believe that the on-board adapter is not failing and the problem must be windows related. If it were spy ware or a virus then why is wireless access unaffected? If it is hardware failure then why does the problem go away with a back up installation of windows? If it is a hardware conflict then why does it persist when the on-board LAN is disabled and a new adapter is installed on a different IRQ channel? If it's a failing Motherboard or bad RAM then why is it so specific to online activities and only using the LAN?

I've been baffled by things before but this one has me completely stumped!

If anyone can at least give me a heads up on something new to try or better way to do the things I have tried I would greatly appreciate the help.

TIA
    LRS

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This could be almost anything from bad drivers to bad hardware.

The most direct cure may be to disable the on-board NIC in the BIOS and use a PCI Ethernet board.

3. leeroysphits

leeroysphits Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice