1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Lockup Mystery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KrAzE, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrAzE

KrAzE Thread Starter

Im sorry this is my first post here.. I searched google and this was the 2nd in the results list..and frankly I liked this sites design over the first...I really hope one or more of you can help me.

Here goes.

My computer has been locking up often recently. At first I thought it was ram.. so I did memtest...all 4 sticks of ram are fine. Im unsure what this could be, and would love your expert advice.

The strange thing about these lockups are that windows doesnt even see them.. the eventviewer doesnt say anything about anything failing or any warnings at all, it has to be hardware. Why do I say this? Well I checked every piece of ram in single slot mode, and the program froze! Now this is dos, so drivers arent an issue..

When the computer freezes, it will do something random that really gets me.. my usb mouse will power down. Sometimes it will powerdown my mouse and act as if it was going to lockup...but it turns the mouse back on..and im good...sometimes for awile..and sometimes it frezes a few seconds later.

Not everytime, but sometimes during these freezes, my second monitor wont get signal. Once both monitors lost signal... it seems to be sparatic.

I checked mobo as well as mother board monitor temps...nothing is bad...ill go ahead and tell you what they all are as of right now.

Case: 86 F
    CPU: 95 F
    Sensor 3: 32 F (?)

Voltages:

Core 0: 1.6
    Core 1: 1.6
    +3.3: 3.30v
    +5: 5v
    +12: 11.31
    -12: -11.88
    -5: -4.98

CpuFan: 1527 RPM

And I have a xt850 pro, I overclocked to a XT.. (wanted the 16 pipes, and its only overclocked slightly, running at 37 degrees with an aftermarket zalman)

Could this be a powersupply issue? I thought it might and opened up the case, unplugged all the extra fans, and it still froze.

Im at a loss...really I am.

PC Specs:

p4 2.53
    2 g ram
    2 200gb sata drives
    2 dvd burners (one dvd RAM)
    1 soundcard sblive
    1 tv tuner
    1 pci network card (wanted gigabit)
    1 agp ati 850xt

Powersupply 430 watt 2 rails.

rail 1: dvd burners,agp power and front led
    rail 2: 2 hardrives and aftermarket agp fan + case fans

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice