1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard time connecting hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I.S, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I.S

I.S Thread Starter

I wanted to ask two questions...

1. I have an hard drive from an old computer who hasn't been working for about a year and a half (reason unknown my best guess is either it was fried or it was a touch of god...) , will it damage my current system if I connect that hard drive in order to extract some data? just for a few minutes, I swear...

2. If it's not dangerous than how is it done? do I need drivers or something? it's a WD 10GB if it matters and my current system is pretty new about a year and a half...

2. squidboy

squidboy

The risk would be in a virus/adware and such. If you're comfortable with scanning/removing a possible risk then you should be ok.

Your PC should pick it up automatically if you configure it right. I will assume the drive is IDE so, set the jumpers on the drive to slave and the jumpers on your current drive to master and attach your old drive on the same cable then and boot up.

-or-

If you have the open secondary IDE port on your current computer, set your old 10gig to master and attach it there.

Boot to your BIOS first (F2, etc) to be sure it's detected. Once that's good, copy your data and power off/remove the drive or keep it installed/format it for some extra HD space.

3. I.S

I.S Thread Starter

How do I set it to slave I tried connecting it but it only recognized my old HD

4. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

What is the factory jumper setting on the newer drive? If it is Cable Select (most new system use CS), set old drive as CS also. Only if new drive is master, do you set the old drive as slave.

5. I.S

I.S Thread Starter

I didn't understand a word you just wrote...
    anyway I connected it to the power and to that wide cable thingy that came out of my new HD so I had both of them connected, but it only recognized the old one... I haven't disconnected the new one...
    I would be happy if you could explain it in dummy terms...

6. norton850

norton850

This will give you some idea about setting jumpers

http://www.mysuperpc.com/hdu/jumper_pins.shtml

The instructions on how to set the jumpers for your particular hard drives are usually printed on the top of the drive.

You old drive (the one in your system and working) needs to be set to master and the new one (the one you are trying to add) to slave.

Remember you don't know that the WD hard drive from the old computer even works, so it may not show up no matter what you do.

7. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Actually, you need to check the jumper on the working drive. If it is set to Master, set the Western Digital to Slave, If it is set to Cable Select, set the Western Digital to Cable Select.

8. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Western Digital has a picture of how to do it, but I tried to link to it twice, but crashed IE both times.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/319838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice