Hard time connecting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kristin82

Okay, I have three dell computers all running on Windows XP Home

I have the two desktops connected with wireless USB connectors to a wireless router. My laptop has a wireless connection already built in and is connected to the internet. I now want to connect the laptop to at least one of the other two computers because they are linked to share a printer. For the life of me I cannot get it to recognize either of them on the network. When I go to view workgroup it tells me that I may not have permission for the administrator but I am the administrator.

Any help would be great
Kristin82

TerryNet

Terry
Welcome, Kristen82.

Have you enabled file and printer sharing on all 3 PCs and have them all in the same workgroup?

On the laptop, when you go into My Network Places and do 'view workgroup computers' do any computers show up? What error message do you get?

When you do the same on a desktop, what computers appear?

Terry

Kristin82

yes i have enabled file and printer sharing on all computers. On the two desktops under view workgroup I get both desktops to show up on the network. On the laptop the error message i get is
"Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

What are you using for firewalls? Third party firewalls are create many threads for your particular problem.

One of the most important things to do, there is more, but with XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers.

Kristin82

I am only using what is on windows and I believe that is all. We dont use any log on and passwords to get on the computers as it is just me and my fiance using them.

Have you ran the Network setup wizard from control panel? If so did you chose the residential gateway option?

Are you using any firewall besides Windows? If so, you need to disable, configure, or unistall them for this to work.

Kristin82

Yes i have run the network wizard, both the wireless and other. It appears to work but then I cannot find my other two computers on the network

I have seen posts from other...and I cannot explain why, but have read that it can take some time, even hours for the others to show up. Rebooting after making changes may help.

Forgive me for asking again...are you using any third party firewalls? Norton, ZoneAlarm, Sygate...just want to be able to rule out these as a problem.

Kristin82

I have Norton on all three computers but each is at a different subscription level and i am not sure where these firewalls are

Just using Norton AntiVirus is not usually an issue. If you have a Security Suite, it may have an enabled Firewall.

On the troubled machine, goto control panel, security center, expand the firewall, and see if says Windows firewall enabled or if it says another program firewall setup.

Kristin82

Windows firewall is enabled and it does not say anything about any other firewalls

I'm running out of suggestions. On all of the machines, go back to the security center, but instead access the firewall under manage settings and look on the exeptions tab and make sure file and print sharing are enabled. It needs to be checked.

If all are checked, the only other suggestion that I have is to turn the firewalls off on all machines, reboot and try again. Either way, make sure you turn them all back on.

I will be logging off soon for the evening. I'll check back in the morning. Hopefully you will get it up and working, or someone else jumps in and offers other suggestions.

You may want to search for Bob Corellis posts and try some of his links for troubleshooting. Some of which I have already suggested.

Kristin82

Okay I checked on the firewall exceptions thing and the file and print share is enabled. I went through and re-did the network thing renaming the laptop thinking I had named the two computers the same thing. Once I did this and rebooted the desktop recognized the laptop but the laptop still could not get into any workgroups to recieve the printer and the desktop could not access anything on the laptop giving me the same error mentioned above. AAARRRRGGGGG. I also double checked to make sure that I am the administrator on the laptop and have access to all files and programs and I am. I don't know what to do from here.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

------------------- cut after this line -------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
------------------- cut before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

See if this helps with the access issue.

TerryNet

Terry
Kristen82, you have XP Home on all computers, so no need to worry about the user account/password stuff. I have heard that the pre-Service Pack 2 XP firewall can cause problems, so if the laptop doesn't have SP2, try disabling the XP firewall. Otherwise, you have the XP firewall configured properly.

The most likely causes of your trouble (my opinion) are the registry corruption that JohnWill's fix will cure or, as DBClark has been harping, a firewall. If the laptop is no more than a year or two old it almost certainly came preloaded with somebody's security suite (Norton, McAfee, ...) that includes a firewall. Get into Norton's control panel to see if you have more than just the anti-virus. And/or look in Add/Remove Programs to see if there is a firewall or security suite to get rid of.

JohnWill, you got tired of seeing my 8-step registry fix, huh! You know I'm gonna steal your little gem.

Terry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online