Hard time installing GTX 750ti into A10-5700

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Videocardsgrr

Help! I realize (after a couple of days of cramming) that some 750tis do not like legacy BIOS (for example, 7.07 HP AMI).

I've tried a Zoltac and now I have a Gigabyte, with the same results. Hangs up at the splash screen, three beeps about 30-45 seconds apart, and then nothing but black. Is the problem I already have nVidia drivers? Are there not all the drivers I think there were (I'm trying to replace a dead Gigabyte GTX 470? Or is it that damn BIOS?!

Yes, I have plenty of power - 900w. Yes, I unplug everything from the wall. Yes, I plug in the 8-pin cord.

I'm at the end of my rope. Maybe I should just downgrade. Please help!

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Is the problem I already have nVidia drivers?
It's not a driver issue, when it's not even loading the OS yet. What are the models of the boards you're trying to use?

Videocardsgrr

Well, the one I have now is a Gigabyte Windforce (750 ti), 2 GB, DDR5 The previous (I traded in) was the Zoltac kind that doesn't need any external power cords.

The computer is an A10-5700 3.4 GHz, 10 MB RAM ... I don't know anything about the motherboard, except that it's whatever HP uses in its Pavilion series (possibly Jasmine .. anyway, it's only got ONE slot) .. and it has a 7.07 version Bios.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I don't know anything about the motherboard, except that it's whatever HP uses in its Pavilion series (possibly Jasmine .. anyway, it's only got ONE slot) .. and it has a 7.07 version Bios.
If that's a HP desktop and it still has its original motherboard, advise us what model name and model number that HP is.
Also advise us the exact part/product number(P/N) on it.
Also advise us what 64-bit Windows version it's running.

---------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
HP Pavilion p7-1240 Desktop PC
It was introduced in May 2012 in the U.S.A. and Canada and came with the following:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
MSI MS-7778(Jasmine) motherboard
AMD A10-5700 3.40 GHz quad-core processor
10 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
300 watts power supply

Its motherboard has 1 - PCI Express x16 Gen 2.0 slot for adding a graphics card.
It has 3 - PCI Express x1 Gen 2.0 for adding other card devices.

You said it has a 900 watts power supply, so you obviously upgraded it.
Since we don't know if it's a quality or budget one, advise us what brand name and model number is it.

If the motherboard has BIOS version 7.07, that desktop's support site doesn't list a more updated version for it.
Updating the BIOS isn't recommended anyway, unless it addresses and fixes a specific issue.

Is this your graphics card?

--------------------------------------------------

Videocardsgrr

Yes, that's my card, exactly.

And it certainly sounds like my machine to the T. I bought it in August of 2012.

And yes, the FIRST thing I did was upgrade the PSU (I know the warranty AND support is long gone, so hey.) PSU is a CoolMax Model ZU-900B, only maybe two months old.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Coolmax ZU-900B Power Supply
It has a 3-year warranty and has a 77A output on the 12V rail, so it appears to be a decent quality one.

My expertise on your issues is somewhat limited, so I'll pass to the hardware experts to further advise you on your issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Videocardsgrr

Oh, thank you very much. I'm just glad to get a hold of someone who might have some idea. My brain is broken from trying to chase down the problem on the Zoltac; I'd just as soon keep this Gigagyte if I can. And the tech fellow where I bought from kind of brushed me off on the phone. Female, accent, I don't know, but "it's technical" doesn't help much. :/ I learned more in one day about computer techie stuff than I probably did in the past 30 years, since I was faced with the VIC-20 I bought from my first job. :p

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome, and good luck.

crjdriver and Triple6 and etaf and Tanis and several other hardware experts here will hopefully help you resolve your issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Videocardsgrr

I hope so. The more I read, the more mystified I get.

I found one mention where a fellow with the same board, etc, and the same card (brand and all) had a problem booting up as well, but he was using that stock 300w psu. And I'm pretty damn sure I can rule out power supply.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
CoolMax power supplies are hit and miss, a lot of them are complete fire hazard garbage while others are good. I think yous is one of the better one but not 100% on that.

This might also be something with it being HP, big box OEM brands are the worst for upgrading and compatibility and don't get the testing that a retail board gets. I would suggest trying an AMD graphics card instead of NVidia and see if it works.

Videocardsgrr

I doubt it's an NVidia vs AMD thing, as I did have a Gigabyte GTX 470 running in it just fine, before it died (I did have it set aside for quite a while until I was ready to start fiddling with the thing. It was second-hand, age unknown, and the guy who sold it to me probably had it overclocked.) It installed easy as pie, and ran really nice while it lasted. I'd been running Fallout 4 quite nicely with it.

I still have it, and I'm glad I do, because I needed it to recover my computer after I did something totally stupid - disable the AMD drivers. Could get past the BIOS (without the 750 in - with it, no) but not Windows start-up, even on Safe Mode (it would hang up at .. wvrRvrt.sys, something like that. Until I stuck that 470 in as a desperation move. It loaded up the drivers, and immediately disabled them, giving me Standard Vga Drivers at 800x600. Then I took it out, and the AMD drivers reinstalled giving me back my Radeon.

But I still can't a 750 ti to work, even though it's the SAME DARNED BRAND. Which is confusing.

Videocardsgrr

Wait, wait, wait - what does "Data Execution Prevention - Enable" mean? And Virtualization Tech - Disable?

Should I change either of these?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts