hard to start pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kresten

when prompted computer starts but quits almost immediately, on second try may last 3-4 seconds, only after 4 or 5 tries does it continue and all is well....(a bit like an old BSA I once had)..
The mobo is ASRock P4i45GV..the power supply is 250 watts. computer is pentium 4
Wndows XP Pro.

How far does it make it? Do you get to the BIOS logo screen or the Windows splash screen? Or is it random?

kresten

The first startup attempt is so short (literally 1-2 seconds) so nothing is showing on the screen.. After each attempt to start I have to switch Power off and wait for green led to extinguis before re-applying the power....the cpu fan is the only indication that the computer is trying to fire up. ..After 4 or 5 tries the the fan stays "ON" and normal startup occurs.

sounds like ur power button is going bad or could have dust in it or something disrupting the buttons connection...try to clean it if you can get to it, if that doesnt work though, then idk how to test it for something else. Maybe mt2002 does...

(Could be wrong though, might be something else)

In addition, try the suggested answer posted in This thread (The first post has the suggestion)

Your system may not be getting the needed amount of power from your psu (250 watts is pretty low). If the above suggestions fail, I would try a different psu.

if it was the PCU wouldnt it quit after bios runs the POST test to check hardware?

If everything in the PC is as bought, the 250watt psu should be fine. More specs would be nice though.

if it was the PCU wouldnt it quit after bios runs the POST test to check hardware?
PSU=Power Supply Unit. If the power supply fails, it may not ever get to the BIOS.

Psu quitting as opposed to failing are 2 different things and this does sound like psu is the issue.

kresten

Replaced the Powersupply and all systems seems to be hummimg along...
Thanx guys
kresten:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online