Hard Wire: Laptop to Modem??

LJFried

When I use Skype, I hard wire my laptop to the modem, instead of using Wi-Fi. to get better reception. My old Lenovo had a RJ-45 ethernet port which I used to connect with the modem.

Just bought an HP Pavilion x360 2-in-1 which does not have an ethernet port. Can I use a USB cable from the laptop to the modem? There are USB ports on my modem. Thank you from an old Luddite!

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What is the brand and exact model number of the modem with the USB ports? I have heard of routers that have one or more USB ports that can be used with USB drives for networked storage and/or adding a printer to a network if it only has a USB port.

LJFried

Thank you. I got it from Verizon. It looks like: Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I -- it has 2 USB ports.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hold on. Some Google results are showing that some of these Verizon modems may have USB ports. Let ne investigate further this evening.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried using Skype with a wireless connection on the HP ? It may better than it was on the other laptop.

Have you tried using Skype with a wireless connection on the HP ? It may better than it was on the other laptop.
I agree that the OP should at least try using it with WiFi.
The biggest problem is going to be the modem which appears to be rather old. I think that whether the laptop is used wired or wirelesss the internet speed will still be limited by the modem.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It would appear that some (older?) versions of the Actiontec MI424WR did include 2 USB ports on the back. As far as I have been able to determine, the Verizon versions of firmware in the device never supported any usage of the USB ports beyond using them to charge cellphones and other devices that charge through a USB connection.

According to the modem's specs:
Maximum wired speed = 100 Mbps
Maximum wireless speed (802.11g) = 55 Mbps
The laptop is capable of much faster speeds than this. However, that makes no difference since like I said the modem and the internet plan that goes along with it is what is limiting the speed.

LJFried

Thanks to everyone for your kind help with this. Every time I post a question on Techguy I find really nice people who are willing to help an old Luddite like me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online