1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardcore Mystery, everything replaced on Gateway pc, still wont turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by checkin, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checkin

checkin Thread Starter

Gateway desktop GT4016, shuts off after awhile, now fan & light turn on for 2 seconds, shuts down.
    Replaced: Power supply, motherboard, on/off switch, CPU, bypassed hard drive, optical drive, & memory sticks, still shuts down.
    After replacing CPU, it came right on, ran for about 8 hours, shut itself down, played with on/off, eventually got it to power up & work for
    another 6 hours, shut down again, now will not turn on.
    Before this, substitued line cord, & different outlet.
    History on this is I would have to unplug from behind a couple times, maybe more, to get the power to come on.
    The data light would come on, but not the blue light to connect to the hard drive.
    I transplanted the hard drive into a similar Gateway, but not compatible, got a blue screen trying to "learn files" but kept going round & round.

Anyone think of something I missed?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Typical cause is the power supply. Especially if disconnecting AC power solves the problem.

Are you sure the replacement power was good?

Also, OEM (ie: Dell, HP, etc.) Windows installs are keyed to the motherboard. Thus why moving the HDD to another PC doesn't work. Plus any differences in the hardware often cause Windows to crash or not boot as the needed drivers are not present.

3. checkin

checkin Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I wast aware it was keyed to the motherboard.
    I am narrowing it down again to another bad pcu, as it ran for a couple of days for a few hours fine.
    I tested the fan, ok, so not a cooling problem, however the fan used to come on indiscriminatly, so am guessing something is not properly turning on the fan to the heat sink when it gets warm.
    I ordered another pcu, as soon as I get it to turn on, am going to find a way to look up the operating temp.
    What puzzles me, is a new motherboard, I assume there is something on that to automatically turn on the fan.
    (as soon as I installed the last pcu, it powered up & stayed on for 2 days)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1136144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice