1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddisk cleanup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Copperhead, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Copperhead

Copperhead Thread Starter

Hi, I`m a novice when it comes to computers, so I don´t know all
    (hardly any) tricks of the trade when it comes to cleaning up my system from unwanted files, doubles, etc.. I´ve heard that Windows saves everything that I have done on my computer (all keyboard strokes, all internet surfing, etc.) in hidden files not easily accessed by a normal user. Is this true:confused: Is there (preferably) freeware available on the webb that would allow me to permanently erase these files and return the freed disk space for use?

2. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
  3. Copperhead

Thanks for the tip! Window registry files- are these the "secret" files and are they contained here and can they be "cleaned"? I´ve tried (with my limited knowledge) to find out more about this, but.. I just don´t know where to look to find out how to deal with this. HELP!!!!

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

You can use a registry cleaner to clean the registry. You should always back-up the registry before doing so. I use JV16 powertools it has a lot of useful tools incuding a Reg Cleaner.

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml

What Os are you using?

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi Copperhead and Welcome to TSG!

I would stay away from messing with the registry, I don't think that's an area you need to be concerned with. There are registry cleaners out there that remove any remants of registry keys that no longer point to programs on your PC. Here's one that does a good job, but make sure you fully understand it's use before using it:

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml

As far as removing hidden stuff from your pc, here's one useful app for removing the listing that windows does keep on all urls visited:

http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

:)

6. Flrman1

Flrman1

Great minds think alike!

7. buckaroo

buckaroo

Yes they do flrman! :D I was drafting my post and didn't even see yours. That's too funny.

:)

8. Flrman1

Flrman1

A little reinforcement never hurts.:)

9. raybro

raybro

Here are some routine maintenance tasks you can do periodically which will help keep your PC running good.

1. Delete temporary Internet Files

2. Clear History

These two can be done in Internet Options (under IE "Tools"), General tab. You can minimize Histroy buildup by setting the
    "days to keep pages in History" to a lower number. I have mine set to 5 days. I belive the default is 30 days.

Delete the TEMP files in C:\windows\TEMP folder. you can safely delete any file more than a couple of days old. If you get a "Cannot delete" warning on any one file just leave it and keep on going.

Keeping your HDD defragmented is also a good thing to do.

Periodically run a full system virus scan.

As mentioned by others, run the Reg Cleaner tool in JV16 Power Tools.

Download, install, update and run a scan with Spybot S&D. This keeps your system free of spyware and malware. It's free and you can get it here:

http://spybot.safer-networking.de/

Spybot has some built in capabilities to prevent downloading of many common spyware programs. After you get spybot installed, create a post if you need help with that.

As indicated by others, be sure to make a backup of the registry before you change anything in it. Both jv16 and spybot modify the registry. If you need help with creating a registry backup, post back and I or others will be glad to advise you.

BTW... When you post back, tell us what your system specs are and your OS. This helps in giving you the best advice we can.

Regards - Ray

10. Paul Rosso

Paul Rosso Guest

the registry is not the "secret files you seek, dont touch it till you know more about your system, just clean out the stuff like cookies and temporary internet files,etc

11. Copperhead

Thanks for all the tips: they tell me that I have a lot to learn about my computer and the terminology (what is a "URL") involved-now i´m afraid to do anything for fear of destroying everything!:eek:
    My system: P3 667m, 512m, 3DProphet 4500, IBM 40 g/7200, etc

12. Copperhead

Sorry, forgot the most important: ops: WIN XP PRO

13. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
  14. Copperhead

Thanks, G- see how little I know! I better get myself a good computer tutorial and start learnin` things. To get back to my original question: does windows save all tangent strokes in hidden files somewhere deep in the harddrive. If so is the case, can these files be accessed and, most importantly, can they be deleated. If anybody out there knows, please let me know how to do it- eventuall software:confused: Thanks for your help.

15. Copperhead

While surfing the web, I found a program called "[email protected] Disk Hard Drive Eraser v1.1". Does anyone know anything about this program? Considering my earlier queries, is this what I´m looking for or will this program distroy everthing?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/140025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice