1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddisk detection problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karisma, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karisma

karisma Thread Starter

My XP does not detect my other harddisk (slave). Bios detects it but when windows starts i cannot access the drive. computer management-> disk managment does not do the trick this time. i installed windows again, and the drive was detected, but after a couple of boots it was the same. The harddisk cannot be found by windows. :confused: Both of my harddisks are Seagate Barracuda (master 120gb, slave 80gb) . I tried both of the disks on another computer and they worked fine. What is this, can anyone help?

2. coolguyjames

coolguyjames

format the slave disk and make sure the jumpers on the drive are set to slave and on the master drive make sure the jumpers are on master also after you format the slve disk remember to add fat 32 or ntfs hope that helpes you

3. robomatic

robomatic

I keep all my drives on cable select. I don't think hard drive jumpering is causing your problems.

I feel for you, I've had several cases of this problem. One time it was an NTFS drive, a very large drive, and I loaned it to a friend who tried to mount it in a different system. Somehow his system changed the designation on my drive from NTFS to FAT 16 and it became unmountable and unreadable. If you look for the thread "Solved: Disappearing Hard Drive" elsewhere in this forum you will find my stories. This drive was totally recovered after a LOT of finagling.

I have had two drives simply go bad. Manufacturers' diagnostic programs turned up diagnostic errors and the drives were returned. They were not Seagate drives.

If you have the time and inclination, verify that the time both drives showed up on the other system was not a fluke, because you say the drives show up on your system, then after a few startups one drops off. If you find the same happens on the other system after several starts, that would argue drive hardware problem.

Good luck and don't give up, neither give up on life simply to solve one computer problem.

4. hammerbill

hammerbill

Could be the cable. Your problem description suggests this is likely. A drive can be recognized by cmos but still not be able to get data through with a damaged cable. Cables go bad more often than one might guess. Look at the drive pins and make sure they are all straight and not pushed in-including those pins on the power cable. Check to see if your cmos has a setting for legacy (>33mbs vs 66-133 mbs) cables that needs to be adjusted for your other drive. Is this ata or sata?

5. karisma

karisma Thread Starter

It is ata. I changed the IDE-cable and installed Windows XP again. Now it has worked for ~5 boots. If it drops the drive out again, i´ll try to check cmos for that legacy thing. It might be that the cable was broken. Thanks for your help, and robomatic, cheers, i´ll carry on living.

6. robomatic

robomatic

Kismet. I just tossed away a cable, too!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!