Status
Not open for further replies.

Harddisk error Please help

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  FutureKing 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

First thing I would do is download and install SeaTools and do a full health check on the drive. Its possible that the drive itself is on its way out, so I would also recommend you backup and data you don't want to risk loosing (this should be done anyway, better to be safe than sorry).

If SeaTools tells you there is a problem aswell (using this as a confirmation to ensure your current software isn't falsely reporting) with the drive then I would suggest replacing it. This shouldn't be happening with a fairly new drive, if its older then, like everything else, they eventually wear out.

These are all part of the S.M.A.R.T. process, have a look here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

#3 ·
Hi,

First thing I would do is download and install SeaTools and do a full health check on the drive. Its possible that the drive itself is on its way out, so I would also recommend you backup and data you don't want to risk loosing (this should be done anyway, better to be safe than sorry).

If SeaTools tells you there is a problem aswell (using this as a confirmation to ensure your current software isn't falsely reporting) with the drive then I would suggest replacing it. This shouldn't be happening with a fairly new drive, if its older then, like everything else, they eventually wear out.

These are all part of the S.M.A.R.T. process, have a look here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
Thanks But when I try to run Basic Test > SMART Check. Seatools displays "Test Unavailable" message

#6 ·
OK, im sat at work with not much to do so ill do a little digging around and see what I can find out. One thing that looks a little strange to me is that SeaTools is showing your drive as a SCSI drive when it is a SATA drive according to the info I have found.

Something worth trying in the mean time is downloading the DOS version of SeaTools and creating a bootable CD. Then boot from that and run it outside of Windows, this may work as anything running that tries to access the hard drive may interfere with the test. Generally it is better to run drive diagnostics via DOS.

The guide here shows you how to make a bootable CD and use the DOS version if you are unsure.

#7 ·
I run Long Test in DOS version of Seatools. It took about one and half hour to complete and detected 77 Errors. It said that they are bad sectors and then it repaired them. After repairing it displayed "Passed After Repairing" message.

However Crystal Disk Info is still showing same "CAUTION" error.

#8 ·
If SeaTools is reporting the drive OK then I would probably be happy to keep using it and just monitor it. It may be that Crystal Disk just has a far bigger threshold when looking for these errors. Having re-read and re-looked at the screenshots, Crystal Disk is only reporting 100 reallocated sectors, which in the big scheme of things isnt that many, especially when you consider that drive has 488,397,168 (488 million) sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.