1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddisk install problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BooDay, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BooDay

BooDay Thread Starter

My old 80GB crapped out on me, or so lengthy revival attempts showed, after a "Disk Read Error" message and reboot cycle on startup. So my friend gave me his old 40GB drive that may or may not have been formatted, he doesn't recall. I plug the Master ribbon cable and power connector to the drive, put my XP disk into my CD drive (to install XP when the time comes) and power on. The drive spins up. I get "Detecting Primary Master..............." or some such and then it goes to a black screen with a little flashing underscore. Oddly enough the light in my optical mouse flashes in time with it.

Am I just missing something in the reformat process or do I have something more to be concerned about?

Update: Okay, I changed my boot order so now I can get the XP CD to start starting. But part way through it stops and gives me "SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" and then tells me to make sure any new hardware is properly installed. It adds the Technical Information of "STOP: 0x0000006F (0x00000020, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" I'm using the ribbon-cable designated Master... does it matter if I use P4 or P5 for power?

It doesn't appear that Jumper position is the issue since I've tried it on Master and Cable Select with the same result...

Edit 2: XP disk was only an Upgrade so I'm up the creek at the moment. I'll try again later. Bah!

2. Fraki

Fraki

First, try to format the drive with delpart to be sure, that all partitions which may have been created are delete :) Can you put the jumper on slave mode ? Or was your other drive master?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice