1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddisk not accessible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phanipatil, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phanipatil

phanipatil Thread Starter

Hi,

My laptop internal harddisk is not accessible. The laptop was switched ON and I was holding it in my hand. Suddenly it slipped and fell down. Since then, the harddisk is not accessible. Windows and BIOS are not detecting the harddisc. So, I bought a new harddisc and replaced it with the old one. Then I connected the inaccessible harddisc to the laptop via USB port by purchasing a harddisc casing and connector. But the disc did not get detected. I didnt see it in disk management. I use windows 7 OS. The connector cable I purchased is Y shaped at one end with two USB connectors. The other end has only one connector which goes to the hard disc.
    I have data in the harddisc and I need to recover it. Is there any way I can access the harddisc? Please help!

Thanks & Regards,
    Phani

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    First did you use the Usb plug with 2 wires at the computer end ? If not please do so. Also, try it with both Usb plugs in ports at the PC end.

If that doesn't help it looks like the drive is too badly damaged to work.

EDIT : Oh and welcome to TSG :)

3. phanipatil

phanipatil Thread Starter

Thank you for your warm welcome and also thank you for your reply. :)

I didn't try with two plugs inserted to the computer. I just tried with one. I will try it today. But, when I tried with one plug, the hard disc spins for a few seconds and then stops... After some time, it again spins for a few seconds and stops but will never get detected. I will try with two plugs connected to the computer. Also is there a way I can try to access it via Linux OS?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Good luck with the 2 ports test.

Yes it should show up in linux if it's working. You could use a version of linux that will run from a CD, Ubuntu will and I'm sure others do too. You can run many on a Usb stick as well if that's more convenient

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!