1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddisk problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digitalsoul, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digitalsoul

digitalsoul Thread Starter

I have recently had a problem with my pc and have lost important data. I was able to recover some by using recovery software. So i decided to buy a external USB HD for backing up my data from now on. Although the USC HD worked on a friends PC with XP it does not work on mine with a Win 98SE OS.
    I can see the HD in windows explorer but when i try to access it, it says that the drive is not formatted and asks if i want to format it. But the HD is already formatted. I did it on the friends machine (XP) where we copied some program files that i might need on my own system (winamp3, anti-spy etc.).

Although i tried hard to get the new HD working with the external usb case i could not succeed so i decided to install it in my case as a slave driver. (Yes, i did changed the jumper settings correctly). Now, both in windows system and bios settings the new HD is visible but no drive letter is assigned to it and i can not access it in windows explorer.

Please, help. I am about to loose my mind...

Thanks,
    jt.

2. Sponsor

3. heavybob

heavybob

Did you format this drive NTFS - If so you need to reformat in Windows 98 with Fat32

4. digitalsoul

This also came to my mind but i used before HD's from other pc's formatted with XP using machines as slave to copy files to my system, so i thought that could not be the problem.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

jt,

I assume that your Win98SE computer has a USB connector in order to connect the external USB HD, so there are usually two reasons why the device does not work:

a) the version of Windows running on the computer does not contain USB support, or
    b) the USB IRQ is disabled by the BIOS. <- suspect this may be the problem!

When you formatted your external HD with your friends WinXP system, you did format it as a FAT32 - didn't you? Hopefully not NTFS!

Your external USB HD worked on your friend's WinXP PC because WinXP most likely has the USB controllers/hub/drivers installed. Is there a manual with your USB HD? It should have some information on whether Win98SE is one of the OSes with driver support for the external USB HD.

When you boot up after connecting the external USB HD, your OS should detect and install the driver for it. If not, then you must visit the HD manufacturer website and search for a Win98SE driver for it, download and install it and then reboot. Here is a website for the HD manufacturers:
    http://compreviews.about.com/cs/manhard/

You might check out your device manager in Win98SE to see if there are any USB serial bus controllers or not - i.e. does your hardware support USB? If it has the USB connector, assume it does - but, it may not, so look here:

A free USB evaluation utility can be downloaded from the Shopping Bag page at http://www.usb.org that can be used to determine whether a platform with USB connectors is running a version of Windows that understands USB.

-- Tom

6. saikee

saikee

I bet you have the hdd formatted in NTFS partition because that ia what XP would do unless you point a gun to its head.

You stated that the hdd is detected in Win98 but reported the OS asked you to format it. This is because Win98 cannot recognise a NTFS partition, in exactly the same way an old version of DOS based on FAT16 treats your Window FAT32 partition as "Non-DOS".

The cheapest way to reclaim your data back is to download DOS 7.10 which has a program called DOSNTFS. It permits you to read the files in your slave so that you can put them on your FAT32 partitions (Win98). The only problem is after loading it you will be left with very little memory out of the 640k to run other programs.

Another alternative is get hold of Partition Magic that will convert the NTFS back to FAT32 partition.

Finally if you have a friend who run Linux then he should be able to boot you PC with a Live CD and transfer the files across.

You need to re-format the hdd to FAT32 before Win98 can use it.

7. digitalsoul

Firstly many thanks for your time Tom

1a) I have used multiple usb devices on this system (camera, digital camera, memory stick etc.) so it should support USB, i think.

1b) I could not see in the Bios settings anything about the USB so i can't tell about the disable IRQ thing...Where do i need to look?

2) I am not sure if the HD was formatted as NTFS or FAT because at that time i was trying to recover the files on the other pc while my friend formatted for me. So i need to talk to him.

3) The USB HD was detected by the OS and i installed the driver provided by the external case company. And the HD was also recognized with its correct name (Samsung model name etc.) and model number both in Bios and in Windows and it was also assigned a drive letter and it was viable in windows explorer. Yet when i tried to access it it said it was not formatted. So i assume it is about the NTFS, FAT thing.

When i took the HD out of the external case and installed in the pc as a slave drive, it was again visible both in bios and windows device manager but this time no drive letter was assigned and it was not viable in Windows Explorer.

4) There is a device manager (Intel 82371 AB/EPPCI).
    5) USB evaluation utility tells that the system has full USB support.

Thanks again,
    jt.

8. saikee

saikee

May have lost touch with WIn98 (still have it in a partition somewhere) but right click the disk then property would tell you the partition type.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/394856