1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HardDisk Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bkzballa, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

I have a laptop HDD in an enclosure as an external drive & have had it for about 4 months. It uses usb port. I was using my computer & the hdd was working fine when suddenly as i was downloading something it could not finish dloading because it said the (already written) files could not be detected. Then i disconnected the cable & replugged it & the green light turned on in HDD but it still wasnt detecting it. Then i thought maybe something was wrong or stuck in hdd so i took it out of the enclosure & everything looked fine so i put it back & when i went to plug it in a error showed at lower right of the screen which said that the port hub had a power surge & to disco the hdd & click reset. (Also the green light didnt even turn on this time.) So i did. Then i thought i always used only one end of the usb cable (Double header) so i didnt get why it didnt work but i went ahead & tryed using both heads of the cable & still again said the same thing. I always had enough power so i dont get it. I plugged in my ipod into the usb port & it works good. What should i do?

2. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

It also says that a device has malfuctioned & exceeded power.

3. erick295

erick295

It sounds like either the drive or the enclosure went bad. If you try a different enclosure, that will answer your question.

Laptop hard drives often require more power than one USB port can provide. The drive may spin up and it may seem to be working properly, but it's actually not getting enough power. This can shorten their life. Always connect both cables if possible.

4. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

Ok i think i will try my friends computer just incase something went wrong with the port hubs or something. If that fails then i will get a new enclosure & see what happens.

5. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

Hey how much on average does it cost to repair a disk if it is the HDD that isnt working?

6. PEP

PEP Banned

Is there damage risk to the other computer you try it on ??

7. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

.... dude my ports still work so unless you have a trash computer i doubt it. I tryed at least 10 times it must be the enclosure or HDD.

8. PEP

PEP Banned

heh well id rather get information with someone with better experience.

9. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

So your actually saying your computer might be trash. IT'S THE HDD. Other wise the ports would not work after the error message. A power surge does not cause damage to every electrical product (duh) & didnt on my computer so sorry if you have a crappy computer.

10. bkzballa

bkzballa Thread Starter

I think a real power surge might have destroyed my computer & its ports after trying it 10 times dont ya think.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

It probably isn't even a consideration and few can do it. Drives are so inexpensive these days....replace the external case, this is a common occurrence but you could proe it by taking the internal drive out and jumpering it as slave to another drive as master on same cable and see if you can see it which I will bet you can.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

First of all this isn't your thread it is his and second of all number of posts is really no indication of what a user knows anyway. Start your own post and ask your own questions and I feel certain you will attract suitable answers. That's the best way.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yikes !!!

Back to bkzballa,

From your first post, the hard drive is fine since you said when you take it out of the case and connect it directly you can see the files.

But if you are getting the error "device has malfuctioned & exceeded power", what are you connecting it to. For example, if it is a USB hub that does not supply it's own power from AC, that can often happen. Are you connecting to a USB hub or directly to the computer?

14. erick295

erick295

I missed that part before -- in that case the drive is definitely okay -- however, the enclosure might be bad. Disconnect all other USB devices and connect the drive by itself to two ports directly on the computer. If it still doesn't work, then power is not your problem.

15. PEP

PEP Banned

i never said my computer was trash but maybe the HDD could trash it lol ... but .... enough said.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/510570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice