1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HardDisk Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JekylHyde, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JekylHyde

JekylHyde Thread Starter

hi,
    i had some problems booting to my xp pro.
    the system was unstable. sometimes it booted but then crashed. sometimes didn't even booted.
    so i installed my old hd. installed xp on it. & when i tried ti access my problematic hd windows told me the drive should be formated first :confused:
    why format it? i can boot from it so there is data there...

i want to backup the data there before formating. then i'll install xp on it. (that is why i used my old hd).

thanks

2. emoric

emoric

In your case, I would get an old drive and set it as a slave. I would then use the slave as a data disk to save all the important documents such as family photos, music, etc. I would maybe say consider partitioning it but if Windows wants to format, I would be worried it would take the data partition too. I hope this makes sense. I think I'm just rambling on... :/

If not, DVD back ups are also nice. :D

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would run checkdisk on the other drive as it obviously has some issues. In My Computer, right click the drive, choose "Properties", Tools, Error Checking, Advanced and put checks in both boxes then apply.

4. JekylHyde

JekylHyde Thread Starter

i can't go inside the disk...
    which is strange. because when it was the only disk on the system i booted from it.
    now i can't go inside of it.

the 8Gb is my old drive that i installed xp on. IDE drive.
    the bigger is the drive i want to save the data from. SATA drive. (no jumpers).

Attached Files:

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have had amazing results with a program called Hard Drive Regenerator which rebuilds the magnetics of the drive without affecting data at all. You can use it once free for one project only:
    http://www.gold-software.com/download7605.html
    Bear in mind this can take 36 hours to complete so be patient but the results will amaze you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice