1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddisk REALLY slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yazan, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yazan

Yazan Thread Starter

Hi, sorry this is kind of a long post, please bare with me.

I've got this problem with my harddisk being really slow. Started around the end of june. My mom woke up, turned on my computer, and it wouldn't boot, because it was waay too slow. It would do a split second of accessing every 2 seconds. Decided to do a format. So I did a quick format on C (At the time, I had a C partition for windows, D partition for my own data, and 3 more partitions for slackware). During the windows installation, the harddrive started doing it again. So I did a full format instead, and that worked fine.

Anyway, the computer worked fine for a couple of days, then I went on vacation. Came back now, and it started giving me the same problems again after a day. This time i deleted ALL my partitions and created 2 new ones, C and D. Worked fine again. That was yesterday. You can probably guess what just happened today.

Computer was working fine, till i had to reboot. Same problem. This time though, once the loading screen for windows is finished (after a while) the computer reboots. I tried rewriting the MBR through windows repair console. The first time it said there were errors, but it fixed them up. That didn't seem to fix the problem.

I then decided to check the maxtor website (My HDD is a maxtor 80gb diamondmax 9). Found the tool "powermax", and decided to give it a go. When I tried it out, it said "failed to load dos, press any key to retry". I tried using another floppy disk, but i got the same problem, although it barely accesses the floppy disk, and spits that error at me within a fraction of a second. Funny, I never knew my floppy drive never worked.

I started thinking this might be a really sophisticated MBR virus, but I'm thinking it's highly unlikely. Although, before the windows loading screen, there's a blank screen with a loading bar at the bottom that comes up for a second or two. That started happening around early june, when I installed litestep (and uninstalled it). I thought it's a standard thing with litestep, so that it loads the custom loading screen, but it doesn't seem to go away, even after uninstalling, doing a million formats, and rewriting the MBR about 3 times (by the way, is fixmbr supposed to be instant?). I was thinking of putting the HDD in my brother's computer, but I don't really want to risk his computer aswell. I might pull out the old 40gb from another computer and try that out, but I'd like to hear any suggestions first.

Anyways, thanks for baring with me, that's the story. I'd appreciate any help, I'm really out of ideas.

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think PowerMax is right approach, its possible the drive is failing.

How did you create the PowerMax floppy? You need to save the file you download to your hard drive then run it to make a bootable floppy. Do not save the file directly to the floppy. Or your floppy drive is toast.

You can also download an ISO CD image of PowerMax and burn the image to CD.

3. Yazan

Yazan Thread Starter

I ran the exe so that it extracts on its own to the floppy, I'll burn an ISO and try it out again, thanks.

4. Yazan

Yazan Thread Starter

Ok, burned the ISO. Turns out the harddisk is failing, :( thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!