Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harddisk!

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  wedor 
#1 ·
My computer came with a 10gig hardrive with Windows Me preinstalled. I upgraded to Windows XP Home Edition and have been very impressed it was well worth the £90 I payed for the upgrade pack! I purchased 64MB of RAM to bring my memory from 64MB to 128MB and my computer hasn't crashed ONCE since I got XP! But having two operating systems on one 10 gig hardrive and lots of preinstalled programs such as office has taken its toll and I was warned the other day that my harddisk was nearly full! I deleted all my unnessesary files and managed to get back 1 gig of space but I'm still not happy and would like to get a new 20gig hardrive. It makes more sense to use my recovery disk to return my computer to the way it was when it left the factory and reinstall windows XP on the new harddrive leaving my old operating system on the old C:\ and installing all my programs into the new harddrive. I have two questions about this:

1) Will my computer become dual-boot which i DONT want to happen I want the same setup as I have know but with XP installed on the new harddrive?

2) Will I be able to call my new harddrive B:\ as I don't have a 5 1/2 floppy drive installed and would prefer to have things organised and call it that, if not what will my drive call itself as default as I already have A,C,D,Q,R drive letters already taken?

See less See more
#4 ·
Kill the font, it's hard to read. Let me get this straight, you want to use your restore disk to install your original OS on the new drive, then you want to use your upgrade CD to change the OS to XP? This would not be considered a "fresh" install in most cases. No, your system will not become dual-boot. You will need to remove the old drive while doing this. I really don't know off-hand if you can name it B, I don't recall anyone asking before.

#11 ·
Although you can move files to the new drive you will need to re-install the programs. Either put the new drive in by itself or set it as master and slave the old one, then install away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.