1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive accidently reformatted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stacy32539, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stacy32539

stacy32539 Thread Starter

My harddrive was accidenally reformatted. I Need to be able to recover data from my outlook express email program. Any ideas on how I might be able to do this the cheapest way possible. Cannot afford to take to professional recovery service.
    Tried to find programs that might do this but again very expensive.
    Thanks for any help !

2. bigbear

bigbear

If the hard drive has been reformatted as far as I am aware your data has gone for good, but as I have found out before on this forum there are quite alot of knowlegable people out there who might disagree with me.

3. RedHelix

RedHelix

Formatting a hard drive does not destroy the data. However, to my knowledge you cannot retrieve it without handing it over to a professional data recovery company, which will almost always give you a four-figure estimate for the labor.

4. bigbear

bigbear

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!

5. brite750

brite750

these recovery programs are for drives that have gone bad, not for ones that you erased, I'm pretty sure youre out of luck.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

7. brite750

brite750

actually $70 isnt all that much to get your stuff back, whats a full format? is that the same as a low level format or writting zeros to drive? just wondering

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you format in Windows, you get the option of a "quick" format or a standard format. The "quick" option just zeros out the directory entries and leaves the data intact.

9. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

partition magic can restore "quick" formated partitions. Johnwill is right the only way used to be is use the format /u and that made recovery nearly *impossibe*.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice