1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive Caddy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jicojani, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jicojani

jicojani Thread Starter

What is the best way to shut down a USB hard drive caddy? I have a 120gig hardrive in my caddy and am wondering if after I do the safely remove hardware should I then be shutting down the power on my caddy or should I leave it on until I shut down my computer. Also sometimes it will not shut down that way because it says the system is busy and the only way I can shut it down is to turn off the power switch. Could somebody please tell me the safest way to turn on and off this caddy so I don't do harm to my harddrive. Thank you so much.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Safely remove. Remove USB connector, turn off power to disk.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I don't believe there's any reason to disconnect the USB connection. I leave my stack of backup drives connected all the time, I just use the Remove option, then flip the power off.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do the same thing with mine. Just leave it plugged in and have the os safely remove the device. After that I just switch it off.

5. DaveBurnett

I use my USB drives as portable drives to take elswhere. If I want an extra permanent drive I use IDE caddies. :) ;)

6. JohnWill

I use drive caddies for the ability to swap drives around, but my off-line backups are still on my stack of USB drives. Drives in the drive caddies are on-line all the time, and thus are subject to any damage that might occur from power surges, virus infections, etc. OTOH, my backups only get switched on to do the actual backup, then they're turned off again.

7. DaveBurnett

My point was that I have to unplug the USB in order to transport it!! :)

8. JohnWill

Well, that would depend on how long your USB cable is, wouldn't it? :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/352991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice