Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harddrive Caddy

951 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
What is the best way to shut down a USB hard drive caddy? I have a 120gig hardrive in my caddy and am wondering if after I do the safely remove hardware should I then be shutting down the power on my caddy or should I leave it on until I shut down my computer. Also sometimes it will not shut down that way because it says the system is busy and the only way I can shut it down is to turn off the power switch. Could somebody please tell me the safest way to turn on and off this caddy so I don't do harm to my harddrive. Thank you so much.

#3 ·
Actually, I don't believe there's any reason to disconnect the USB connection. I leave my stack of backup drives connected all the time, I just use the Remove option, then flip the power off.

#6 ·
I use drive caddies for the ability to swap drives around, but my off-line backups are still on my stack of USB drives. Drives in the drive caddies are on-line all the time, and thus are subject to any damage that might occur from power surges, virus infections, etc. OTOH, my backups only get switched on to do the actual backup, then they're turned off again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.